Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sudden and extreme swelling/pain cannot walk or stand.  (Read 541 times)

Offline thatguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sudden and extreme swelling/pain cannot walk or stand.
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:38:56 PM »
I had woken up this morning after only two hours of rest in great pain. Both of my knees became very swollen and where throbbing in pain. When I tried to get up I could feel my legs start to tremble while my knees felt as if they where about to give. The pain is constant but the severity of it come and goes, though I feel the worst of it when my legs turn or curling my toes. I am unable to stand up of walk on my own and the pain becomes unbearable at times. I would greatly welcome any advise or solution.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Sudden and extreme swelling/pain cannot walk or stand.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:48:49 PM »
Hi
Did you have any injury? If not, have you been doing any unusual exercise?
--
KNEEguru

Offline thatguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:06:04 PM »
I have no injury and had done no unusual exercise.

Offline thatguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:07:31 PM »
Hi
Did you have any injury? If not, have you been doing any unusual exercise?

No, I rested well the day before. It was my day off so I did not do much at all.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:14:16 PM »
Usually when both knees swell ("bilateral effusion") in the absence of any physical trigger the doctor will investigate for 'rheumatoid' conditions, of which there are many, or gout. But it is unlikely to be done as an emergency. Also, because both knees came up together then one usually assumes it is not an infection, which would likely only affect one knee, but if you have a temperature or feel shivery then you need to let the doctor know this as soon as possible.

You should let the doctor know that you need an appointment, and then while you wait for this you can use the 'RICE regime' which is to rest with the foot of the bed elevated, intermittently ice the knees with a pack of frozen peas or similar wrapped in a towel (10 minutes at a time), wear a compression sleeve or bandage to apply pressure from outside between, and take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen.
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline thatguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 01:18:55 AM »
Usually when both knees swell ("bilateral effusion") in the absence of any physical trigger the doctor will investigate for 'rheumatoid' conditions, of which there are many, or gout. But it is unlikely to be done as an emergency. Also, because both knees came up together then one usually assumes it is not an infection, which would likely only affect one knee, but if you have a temperature or feel shivery then you need to let the doctor know this as soon as possible.

You should let the doctor know that you need an appointment, and then while you wait for this you can use the 'RICE regime' which is to rest with the foot of the bed elevated, intermittently ice the knees with a pack of frozen peas or similar wrapped in a towel (10 minutes at a time), wear a compression sleeve or bandage to apply pressure from outside between, and take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen.

Thank you very much, it seems gout is the most likely the issue.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:56:45 PM »
I am moving this post now to the General Section.
--
KNEEguru

support