Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Exercise to improve metabolism - bad knees - can't run or jog  (Read 499 times)

Offline knee_sandeep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

I am very relieved to find this forum where I can post my questions. I have been struggling with bad left knee since the last 4.5 years. Despite doing Physiotherapy for the last 4 years there has been very limited progress in my left knee and my metabolism has taken a hit. Recently I have been diagnosed with Elevated Uric Acid levels for which poor metabolism is one of the factors.

So I want to ask if there are any exercises that people with bad knees can do to improve their metabolism. I searched in google for cardio exercises for bad knees and most of them are suggesting squats,lunges which put pressure on knees. Swimming is the other suggested option but I don't have a pool anywhere near my house to do it regularly. Would you guys suggest the elliptical or stationary bike and how much would their impact in the long term?
28-12-2012 - Left Lateral Meniscus and ACL tears. Immobilized

11-01-2013 - DVT. Surgery Postponed to June 2013

10-06-2013 - First Meniscus debridement on my lateral meniscus.

14-04-2014 - Medial and Lateral meniscus repair

14-08-2015 - Chondromalacia Patella

15-05-2016 - Stem cells injection

Offline Puffy the Knee Slayer

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 14
Re: Exercise to improve metabolism - bad knees - can't run or jog
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
Hi,

I am not clued up on Elevated Uric Acid but I also have long term knee problems and cannot run or do squats and lunges.

Stationary bike is non-weight bearing so might be better if your knees are really bad, but the elliptical will exercise the whole body - I've used both though been told not too long on the cross trainer and at times have had to stop using it.

Probably the best thing you can do to speed up metabolism is strength training - even if you can't do squats and lunges there are still other things you can do, though it depends on your particular knee problems  - you'd need to check this out with your physio but as a general rule if it hurts/aggravates then don't do it.

You can do still do upper body work which will raise your metabolism for 48 hours after you work out. How are you with walking, if you are unable to run you could still do fast walking using the gradient on the treadmill. There may also be some leg machines at the gym you can use that won't aggravate the knee -  it's meant to be better to do body weight exercises but if you can't then you can't. I still use the leg curl, adductor and abductor machines as I can't do squats and lunges. Been told never to use the leg extension machine if you have bad knees.

If you don't have a gym near you and you are planning to workout at home then a set of weights and a bike should do. I would choose the bike over the elliptical because you can still use it even if your knee is troubling you with weight bearing but that is just me.

I haven't had the particular injuries/surgery you have had though, so it may be someone else will be able to offer you better advice. Good luck.
06/07 ankle sprain - collapsed arch
01/08 fall doing physio
06/09 MRI fat pad impingement
01/13 MRI medial meniscal tear
03/15 - decent orthotics
01/15 MRI - pes anseurine bursitis, SPL fat pad impingement, PFMaltracking
Cortisone 04/15; 03/16; 06/16; 08/15 Cortisone+Duralane; 10/16 Cortisone+Botox

Offline knee_sandeep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:00:04 AM »
Hello.. thank you for your reply.

Two years ago when I had my MRI it still showed some tears in my medial and lateral menisci and because I already had 2 surgeries my orthopaedic suggested it can't be operated anymore. I asked him how much percentage of menisci is remaining but he wouldn't say.. Is there any way of determining it? I am unable to run or jog and I feel unstable at the knee. Sometimes when I stand even without doing anythin I feel unstable and feel like I lose balance. Not to mention all the weird sensations that I feel in my knee probably the different forces acting to keep my knee in place. Sometimes I feel that I would fall down if I don't latch on to something for support. Not sure what it could be. I am having a tough time identifying my issue in the first place. I will briefly summarize all my issues in one post and check if there is anyone else with similar problems to mine.

I guess stationary bike is my only choice now and I will have to start with it. I am hoping maybe doing 30 mins of stationary biking per day should suffice

I tried upper body workout. But pushups(which I used to do previously) are making me dizzy very badly and doctor said that it maybe because I am not getting enough cardio. Anyway I am just doing some shoulder and biceps exercises for now.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:55:48 AM by knee_sandeep »

Offline knee_sandeep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
I am also wondering if elliptical with seat will be more knee friendly than a stationary bike. Just want to check out if there are any others who can talk about their experience on this.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
http://www.marpokinetics.com/products/VMX/

I have one of these at my gym and it helped me maintain my physique when my knees were hurting. You can do lower resistance and get a good cardio burn that works the core, chest, arms and back muscles.

Offline Grizzla

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:14:28 PM »
There must be quite a lot that you could do at a good gym.
At home, if you have the space, some form of stationary bike, maybe a rowing machine, easy step machine? You don't have to work your legs too hard if you can work other parts, so maybe a hand cycle machine, other things which work your upper body and get your blood moving and CV fitness levels up? Or swimming? Even just a good walk should be beneficial enough, surely, if you can manage a reasonable distance at a reasonable pace.
late March 2017 - ACL complete rupture (per MRI) and MCL 'rupture' (ungraded) in both knees simultaneously + haemarthrosis (bad skiing fall).
No previous known knee issues.

Offline Ayan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
Hi,
You can try sit ups, planks, some bicep curls while sitting, some one leg hops on your good leg and static cycling.

Best wishes.

support