Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 ACL Surgeries, Laxity After Both Of Them  (Read 577 times)

Offline jamiestroud69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 ACL Surgeries, Laxity After Both Of Them
« on: April 01, 2017, 04:56:47 AM »
I've had an ACL surgery twice on the same knee. I had obvious knee laxity after the first surgery. My knee would dislocate if I flexed it. Thus, after 3 months, it was clear that the surgery had failed.

I had a 2nd surgery, this time by a different surgeon. This surgeon has a good reputation. My knee definitely did better the 2nd time around. However, it's been 14 months, & I still have some laxity. It's enough to prevent me from going back to my sport. It's particularly depressing because I'm an elite level acrobat & still have/had a lot of potential to accomplish great things with flips, kicks, & twists, but not in the condition I'm in now.

I just wonder, could there still be hope for the laxity to decrease at the 14 month point? Would a 3rd surgery be worth a try, or should I just learn to live with it & sadly give up my hopes of returning to tumbling? :-(

*If anyone wonders, my first surgery was with my patellar tendon, the 2nd surgery was with an allograft.

Offline Ayan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 2 ACL Surgeries, Laxity After Both Of Them
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Sorry for the knee thing not going well. Did they say why the first op failed? Or did it fail during the recovery phase?
How soon did u get to feel the laxity ? Rather what kind of feeling did u have in the knee and in which part of the knee?

I think if you already have not, then consult a good physio..get the knee assessed by him/her. They should be able to tell you a better picture.

Best wishes.

Offline jamiestroud69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:38:45 PM »
Sorry for the knee thing not going well. Did they say why the first op failed? Or did it fail during the recovery phase?
How soon did u get to feel the laxity ? Rather what kind of feeling did u have in the knee and in which part of the knee?

I think if you already have not, then consult a good physio..get the knee assessed by him/her. They should be able to tell you a better picture.

Best wishes.

The first op failed because the surgeon chose bad fixation points. It felt lax as soon as I could start walking.

As for the 2nd op, it's hard to say, because the laxity is only apparent in athletically demanding positions. For example, if I'm in a bridge position, especially with only 1 leg on the ground, it's lax. It took a lot of rehab before I could do a good bridge position, and so it took a while before I could even realize this laxity (perhaps 6 months). I thought that I just needed more strength & more rehab, but my leg strength is phenomenal in both quads & hams, & I've rehabbed just about every athletic angle I'd need for gymnastics. Furthermore, a doctor did the Lachman test recently & noted more looseness in my surgery leg compared to my non-surgery leg.

As for feeling, if I flex & push my heel against an object, it feels like it could pop out of place if I go hard enough. Also, my knee gets very unstable if I do any inward bending of the knee (which is essentially to some degree for a lot of acrobatic skills).

Offline Ayan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »
May be you can talk to fellow acrobats / gymnasts who have had a acl reconstruction.. See how they felt at different points of their recovery phases..Might help you ..

Offline knee_sandeep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »
Hi jamiestroud69,

Sorry for what you are going through..

What do you mean that your knee would dislocate if you flexed it? Did your kneecap dislocate when you are flexing your quads or are you referring to pain when you are doing knee flexion without having ROM?

I know laxity means loose/careless but in the context of ligaments I am not able to understand it. Searched for ligament laxity in google but want to know from fellow sufferers perspective what you meant by that. Is your knee feeling unstable when you stand? Are you able to run and jog?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:51:31 AM by knee_sandeep, Reason: got to modify somewhat »
28-12-2012 - Left Lateral Meniscus and ACL tears. Immobilized

11-01-2013 - DVT. Surgery Postponed to June 2013

10-06-2013 - First Meniscus debridement on my lateral meniscus.

14-04-2014 - Medial and Lateral meniscus repair

14-08-2015 - Chondromalacia Patella

15-05-2016 - Stem cells injection

Offline jamiestroud69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:52:23 AM »
Hi jamiestroud69,

What do you mean that your knee would dislocate if you flexed it? Did your kneecap dislocate when you are flexing your quads or are you referring to pain when you are doing knee flexion without having ROM?

I know laxity means loose/careless but in the context of ligaments I am not able to understand it. Searched for ligament laxity in google but want to know from fellow sufferers perspective what you meant by that. Is your knee feeling unstable when you stand? Are you able to run and jog?

Not when flexing my quad, but when flexing my ham. My knee would literally make a really loud popping noise and come out of it's socket. Thus, I'd have to push it back in place. Laxity is related precisely to that. The joint is loose, can wiggle easily, and be prone to popping out of place. It can also result in being weak and unstable even if the muscles surrounding it are strong.

Offline knee_sandeep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »
Hi jamiestroud69,

Not when flexing my quad, but when flexing my ham. My knee would literally make a really loud popping noise and come out of it's socket. Thus, I'd have to push it back in place. Laxity is related precisely to that. The joint is loose, can wiggle easily, and be prone to popping out of place. It can also result in being weak and unstable even if the muscles surrounding it are strong.

Could you try myofascial release the following muscles and see if it helps.
1. Biceps Femoris
2. Vastus Lateralis
3. Tensor Fascia Latae
4. Rectus Femoris

I am also feeling pain when I am doing glute bridges. I am not sure how to deal with that..
28-12-2012 - Left Lateral Meniscus and ACL tears. Immobilized

11-01-2013 - DVT. Surgery Postponed to June 2013

10-06-2013 - First Meniscus debridement on my lateral meniscus.

14-04-2014 - Medial and Lateral meniscus repair

14-08-2015 - Chondromalacia Patella

15-05-2016 - Stem cells injection

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
Hi All,

I have ongoing right knee problems for several years and have PFS and anterior knee pain rather than dislocation of the kneecap popping out of its socket. After scope #1 of medial plica excision and fat pad trimming I asked for dry needling or Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS) as it is medically known as for myofascial pain release. It did help me to jump start me back to being able to run long distances until a pre-existing knee problem was sped up by a fall on black ice in January 2013, I have not been able to run since the fall.

My OS suggested to try a botox injection into my top right leg muscles into the Tensor Fascia Latae as my quads were tight and knotted and the botox giving instant release from the tightness. I had weekly PT sessions at the hospital gym for 6 weeks without success. Ended up having scope #2 of Anterior Interval Release (AIR) to remove excessive scarring caused from scope #1.

If the knee pops out of its socket regularly the trochlear groove is shallow a surgical procedure could be offered called tuberosity transfer (TTT). It is a major surgery to go through with mainly good results to realign the kneecap after having a CT scan so the OS knows what angles to realign the kneecap correctly.

http://www.roh.nhs.uk/patient-information/general-patient-information/biopsy/144-tibial-tubercle-transfer/file

Good luck it's always a gamble surgery, everyone's knee problems are going to be different to the next person that has similar knee problem and symptoms.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support