Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Another Patellar Tendon Rupture - Edinburgh UK  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Touche

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Another Patellar Tendon Rupture - Edinburgh UK
« on: October 29, 2016, 12:17:17 AM »
Many thanks to John42 for pointing me to the correct place for this. I am sure that most of my questions have answers here somewhere so will get reading. In the meantime, the first instalment of my recovery saga...

I live in Edinburgh in the UK and last Monday (24th) I was walking down some wet steps (it had been raining ... usual Scottish weather). I was stepping off my left leg to my right. The right foot slipped forward off the step and I fell backward onto my (bent) left leg and then slid the rest of the way down the steps.

As I was unable to get up a passer by called for the emergency services and I was taken to A&E. I was admitted and had the repair operation on Tuesday. Apparently a clean break of the patellar tendon at the patellar end so holes were drilled in the patellar and the tendon connected. I was discharged on Wednesday with my leg in a fixed straight brace [1] and given an adjustable brace [2] to take with me to the fracture clinic in a couple of weeks.

I can't thank everyone enough. From the general public who comforted me, the fast response medic, the ambulance crew, the A&E staff, all the staff on the ward and the surgical team.

I have started to adjust to the new reality of having to plan movements from place to place and have adopted a rucksack to use to carry things about now that my hands are occupied with the crutches.

I know I have a long recovery in front of me ... my target is to get back on my fixed wheel bike for the 1.5 hour commute each way by the start of June 2017. This not only requires full mobility of the joint, it also will require the strength and the speed to react to the traffic conditions of city cycling.

I do have shorter term goals concerning target timelines for different ranges of movement ... 30, 60 & 90 degree ... at 4, 6 and 8 weeks. I am not expecting to develop significant muscle recovery until these have been met. I have no plans to force anything faster than the recovery will allow.

I have confidence in the consultant in charge of my case. I know he is highly thought of.

I am in my mid 50's and while I am overweight I had considered myself to be fit and active.

Have I set myself a realistic goal and (bearing in mind I have yet to start any physio) what can I do keep this on track without risking making things worse?

[1] Actimove Genu Eco Knee Immobiliser
[2] Breg T Scope Premier Post-Op knee brace
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:22:14 AM by Touche »

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
Re: Another Rupture - Edinburgh UK
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
Touché, not sure from your description which tendon you ruptured. Patellar, below the kneecap , or Quadriceps, above the kneecap? At the moment it is academic, but I would recommend using the next week to research PTs in your area, to find one with experience in this injury. He/she is your lifeline from here on!
Good luck.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Touche

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Another Patella Tendon Rupture - Edinburgh UK
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
Thanks Stuart, sometimes we miss the obvious ...

Thread title and content modified.

Not sure we get a lot of choice in the PT we are assigned on the NHS in the UK, but I will look into it. I know that to get one through my local GP has a long waiting list and I am better to use the services from the hospital.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:09:52 AM by Touche »

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
Re: Another Patellar Tendon Rupture - Edinburgh UK
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
Hi everyone.
I ruptured mine playing basketball on oct3.. and surgery two days later. I am suprised that I have been doing muy thai ( martial arts) for few years now and before that I played division 1 soccer...and it did not happen and it happened at a regular basketball game.
Right now I am in my 5 week post op. And I ordered a breg brace adjustable for myself.
The sad part is that I treat this in the clinic and now I have become the patient.
Few word of advice.. your knee will get strong however ask your ortho to see if he was able to bend your knee to 90 degrees during surgery.. and if he says yes then your should work on ROM as soon  as staples are out.
I have manged to get my knee to about 75-80 degrees . And hopefully 90 degrees by next week.( 6 weeks post surgery). ..it is a long recovery however things could  always be worse.

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »
How are you feeling now? Are things improving
Did you have a reinforced wire..and was it taken out.?

Offline Markopolo9kl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »
My injury happened in November 2016 - a moments loss of concentration and My right foot had not moved from one stair to the next, by which time I was soon sitting on my right heel, rather than arriving at the foot of the staircase on two feet (as one normally does). Pain / shock / awful. 45 mins later I was in the ambulance and taken to Barnet A&E where thestaff were fabulous. Discharged after 3 hours having had x rays and confirmation that nothing was broken, provided with critches and remvable splnt. My colleagues then drove me to, Northampton where I have remained ever since!
After pestering my GP and local fracture clinic for an appointmet, I finished up with a marvellous private surgeon, who operated on my knee within 72 hours of seeing me, invluding arranging MRI scans. I had ruptured the central part of my patellar tendon. He used a wire to support the tendon, fixing it by drilling holes in the patella and tibia,and I was discharged the next morning from hospital. Pain about 10 hours after the op was excruciating, but more intravenous relief alleviated it completely.
Once home, I used the LegUp device to move my plaster cast encased leg from floor to horizontal to excellent effect. Having had the plaster cast replaced with an impreganted adhesive type cast after one week, I was then moved to another removable splint after 4 weeks from operation date.
My wire was removed at the end of Feb -6 weeks post first operation.
The physio, which started mid January helped to get some movement. The wire restricted this to 70degrees. However, during the wire removal, I was apparently pushed to 100 degrees under anaesthetic! I arrived 6 days later at physio appt, and left with 99 degrees bend and a bunch of new exercises!
The best way I have tound is to ice the knee (and quad muscle) for 10 mins, then doe 20 mins exercise, and repeat three times per day. The amount of bend is stabilising, until my next physio appt, when I expect I will be bent (punished) again!
I found I could walk almost immediarely the anaesthetic wore off after the second operation.
Pain relief has been minimal. Immediately after the first operation, I had codeine for a couple of days, but could not cope with the constipation easily. I had enough relief from paracetamol, but have been repeatedly told to have consistent pain killers without breaks for best effect.
I have now reached the point where I am wondering where I left the one crutch I am still occasionall using.
So much of the recovery is mental. The brain stops the quads working, protects the tendo, but restricts motion at the same time, almost ensuring no return to normsl movement, unless forced, which is the subject of physio sessions.
Have been working at home since November, drove for the first time since then last weekend, and am working up the courage to attempt to drive to work again, which is usually an hoye and a half trip! So we will see.
Thank you for running this site. The posts have helped me to keep things together mentally even though our son is nearly qualified as a doctor of medicine!

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
Hi MarkPolo
I am one month ahead of you. I ruptured mine in oct 3. Surgery Oct 7.
I tell you that the recovery is coming along. Pain has been reduced to almost none. I find few exercises helps tremendously.  My ROM is back to almost 90 % of before and now I am just working on my lower quads to kick in.
I believe that the 4th to 5 the month was a big jump. And your recovery progresses very quickly.
Best of luck..

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 06:57:41 PM »
Hi Markopolo0kl

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru ...

Your detailed report follows the normal pattern of surgery and recovery - however must point out that you cannot venture to drive unless your OS gives you that confirmation, otherwise you  could invalidate your insurance policy.   

Suggest that you continue reading various previous posts on the RPT thread  "Ruptured Patella Tendon/ Surgery - lots of buddies out there to answer your questions.

Suggest you also click on the undermentioned thread - lots of documents which I have pu together with KneeGuru.   

ASK QUESTIONS  -   Keep posting - PATIENCE is required
https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
HI Markopolo

I forgot to mention - ask your PT " have you seen this type of injury before?    It is a very rare injury - also suggest that you sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knee.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon