Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: results 2.5 yrs after partial menisectomy  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Keffy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
results 2.5 yrs after partial menisectomy
« on: February 12, 2004, 07:16:06 AM »
I had a horizontal split tear of the lateral meniscus trimmed midway 2000 , approx 50%. The worrying part of the MRI report says :"There is a small (4mm) focus of chondral oedema and basal delamination within the central weight bearing portion of the lateral femoral condyle. There is no chondral ulcer."
Does anyone know if this condition could stablize?...or is that 4mm spot the beginning of the end for this knee? (arthritis) Any advice welcome.

Cheers and Peace.

Offline Keffy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
results 2.5 yrs after partial menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 07:16:06 AM »
I had a horizontal split tear of the lateral meniscus trimmed midway 2000 , approx 50%. The worrying part of the MRI report says :"There is a small (4mm) focus of chondral oedema and basal delamination within the central weight bearing portion of the lateral femoral condyle. There is no chondral ulcer."
Does anyone know if this condition could stablize?...or is that 4mm spot the beginning of the end for this knee? (arthritis) Any advice welcome.

Cheers and Peace.

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: results 2.5 yrs after partial menisectomy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »
Keffy,

MRI are notorious for over or undercalling chondral injuries, so take the results with a grain of salt.  (My last one showed a "huge area of osteochondritis dissecans" :o which at operation was just basically bad arthritis)

Also, radiographic evidence of arthritis doesn't equal functional limitation.  Some folks with bad-looking arthritic changes don't have much problems and some folks with not-so-bad-looking changes have a lot of pain and activity limitation :-/ (Hmmm, that really clears things up...)  You'll just have to wait and see.

Danielle ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »
Keffy,

MRI are notorious for over or undercalling chondral injuries, so take the results with a grain of salt.  (My last one showed a "huge area of osteochondritis dissecans" :o which at operation was just basically bad arthritis)

Also, radiographic evidence of arthritis doesn't equal functional limitation.  Some folks with bad-looking arthritic changes don't have much problems and some folks with not-so-bad-looking changes have a lot of pain and activity limitation :-/ (Hmmm, that really clears things up...)  You'll just have to wait and see.

Danielle ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Keffy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 08:22:51 AM »
Beauzer,
       Thanks for the MRI info...maybe it's slightly reassuring that they are not entirely accurate....Once again, thankyou.

Offline Keffy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 08:22:51 AM »
Beauzer,
       Thanks for the MRI info...maybe it's slightly reassuring that they are not entirely accurate....Once again, thankyou.

support