Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscectomy, fully healed, no OA yet, but still medial pain...  (Read 1006 times)

Offline jmfronsee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscectomy, fully healed, no OA yet, but still medial pain...
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:38:35 AM »
October 2015 has MOST of my medial meniscus removed.  ACL and MCL appear fine.  Confirmed last summer (2016) with an MRI that I do not have any OA yet, but maybe some thinning starting.  I am active and strong, 25 years old.  See my one other thread for more details.

Technically, shouldn't I be NOT having any pain?  The pain I have, is best described as medial + front side of the knee.  Almost feels like the top of the tibia right next to the patellar tendon. 

One of my initial injuries, was me slipping and bashing my knee on the edge of a boulder.  It hit pretty much right where I am having pain, like top of the tibia.  But no fractures turned up in any imaging, and tendons / ligaments appear to be OK as well.  Except of course for the meniscus.

My doctor says even with meniscus removed, with no OA I should not be having pain yet. And nothing seems out of whack.  I figured he was just wrong and I have pain because of no shock absorber.

What would be causing pain in this area?  Maybe I have a week or strained ligament or tendon?  Not sure what would be in that area.  Seems a little low for something like medial patellofemoral ligament?

He did say that I do have some arthritis behind the knee cap.  Most likely "Runners Knee".  So is that what is causing my pain?  It does hurt more after sitting for a period of time, so would make sense.  I just thought that pain would be more in the middle and not in the medial compartment where I got hit.

Sometimes there is some clicking in this area as well.  But LOTS of deep massage around my knee and specifically my calf, seems to be helping the clicking.  Side note, I injured my calf around the same time and it feels tight frequently.  Maybe this is somehow pulling something in my knee, causing pain?  ah idk.

I just started using one of these "balance discs" for knee stability.  AppleRound.  Balancing on this made the area hurt a lot, and even into today a bit.  Does that help shed any light?  Maybe I just need to stick to it and see if it will strengthen whatever is "damaged"?   Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

* Edit:  no swelling in the area, from what I can tell either.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:53:17 AM by jmfronsee »

Offline GrkNYC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Meniscectomy, fully healed, no OA yet, but still medial pain...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »
Jmfronsee... ive seen a few of your posts, I had acl/meniscus trim 7 weeks ago and its been hard psychologically on me that the did not stitch it up and removed a small part on the medial side and large part on the lateral side. Its been driving me crazy. any updates on how you feel and research on what you have found? ive look at everything. would like to speak with a person in a simialr situation as me thats y i signed up on here last week.  You can send me a message on here if you would like to compare research .  any help would be appreciated. thanks. im 33 in very good shape to have problems from now

Offline radiokit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Meniscectomy, fully healed, no OA yet, but still medial pain...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
jmfronsee,

I've feel ya bud. I was in almost the same place. I tore my medial meniscus two years ago. I tried conservative treatments for about a year before I had a scope to get rid of the loose pieces. The doctor said he removed 25% of meniscus, another doctor who saw my imaging after the surgery said it was more than 25% so I'm not sure. The surgery did next to nothing I had the exact same burning pain along the joint line that I had before the surgery. I was getting ready to have another surgery this year (it takes forever in Canada) until I found a way to get rid of almost all the pain. I read a lot about different treatments before I stumbled across pemf (ices). I have no clue how it works but it has helped me immensely. I've been sleeping with the device on my knee and I can say after 2 weeks of use I have almost no pain at all. I still haven't resumed training or doing strenuous things but I will be reintroducing that soon. I don't think it's a long term solution, as of right now all I can say is that it greatly reduces pain, there's an outside chance it could help with tissue regeneration but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully next year the Nusurface implant will have some good data coming out of the trials because I feel like I need something to protect my cartilage.
Good Luck! 

support