Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP!Does my son need immediate surgery for PCL?  (Read 886 times)

Offline cindig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
HELP!Does my son need immediate surgery for PCL?
« on: February 26, 2004, 03:47:42 AM »
Hi, I'm trying to make a decision, long distance, re: my son who is a  freshman at CU Boulder (we live in Northern CA) - injured his PCL (non sport injury, but plays sports).  He saw an OS there and needs to have surgery (donor tissue graft).  My question is - can it wait until early May?  We can rush to do it out there over his spring break - recouping in a hotel, but if no serious issues would prevent it - I would rather he wait til the semester ends, first of May, and have it done back home.  I've not been successfull in finding any answers to this question.  Also - the OS he is seeing out there has scheduled surgery for 3/18, but isn't having my son do any pre-op rehab at all.  Any idea as to why not?  Thanks for any help on this.  

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: HELP!Does my son need immediate surgery for PC
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 05:41:59 AM »
What sports does he play?

I think really the only reason to rush is if he needs to be ready for the fall season, otherwise if it is an isolated PCL tear waiting won't hurt.  I am also curious to why his OS is rushing into a PCL reconstruction.  They have a mixed sucess rate, and often times athletes do better without the reconstruction.  I would also make sure that your son's OS has EXTENSIVE experiance with PCL reconstrutions, these are far more complicated than ACL reconstructions and very few surgeons know how to do it properly.  

I think it is extremely strange that your son is not doing any pre-op strengthening.  

I highly recommend getting a second opinion before jumping into surgery.  This is not something to be taken lightly.  I would also be seriously questioning the OS's reasoning behind the need for the surgery itself, and other concerns.  It is also important to inquire about the surgical technique specific whether he is going to use one or two attachment points.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline cindig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: HELP!Does my son need immediate surgery for PC
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 07:59:17 PM »
Good info - thanks!  He currently plays Rugby at CU - well, not since he fell out of his Loft bed in his dorm room onto the linoleum-over-concrete floor first of Feb...In 4 years of Football/Wrestling/Lacrosse - no injury.  But having a 6'2" - 245# guy fall out of an elevated loft bed in a dead sleep - right onto that knee - and the MRI shows that the PCL is pretty much completely gone.  All this is second hand info for me.  (no - he'll never live down the infamy of this stunt)

I am very concerned that he isn't being required to do any strengthening/rehab stuff pre-op, after the little reading and investigating I've done.  No matter when he has the surgery done - he won't be back to Rugby until Feb. 05.  There's no way he can play in the fall.  

I am strongly advocating canceling the surgery and having his MRI sent out to me, and then I do research with OS's and ask all of those questions and see if we can get some advice on having him do some pre-op rehab out there prior to May.  Can it be done long distance?  Or should he be seen be someone out here in person?  Thanks again for your input.

support