Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: walking downhill uneven surface and stairs  (Read 3904 times)

Offline bummmmknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
walking downhill uneven surface and stairs
« on: February 24, 2004, 02:00:43 AM »
Anyone out there who can help me out with learning to go downhill again , such as a handicap ramp , or uneven surface like the yard? also going down steps? I am in the hinged brace unlocked to 30 degrees and on crutches, I find it very difficult to go down a small ramp and through my uneven yard... is this normal? Once I start bending PT will it get better? My knee goes to far foward in the brace , which makes me go foward to falling.... have not yet but don't want to either.... thanks anyone ... I am 6 weeks post op waiting to be bent! lol

Kerrie ;)
1/14/04 TTT w/LR left knee; malalighnment of both knees:multiple dislocations...home PT again, no funds!  ROM 136

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: walking downhill uneven surface and stairs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 03:04:50 AM »
Kerrie,

I can relate. :P  It's really darn hard to navigate when you can't bend!  I spent nearly 12 weeks with my brace locked in extension after my MCL/medial capsular reconstruction.  I had many a near face-plant, the worst being when I tried to walk on the sand at the beach (like learning to walk on quiksand!!)  Well, honestly, I found it hard enough just to walk on even surfaces without tripping over my leg, so maybe it's just me... ::)

It will be much, much easier once you can bend.  The crutches make it somewhat hard too.  Just try to be careful until then.

Best of luck,
Danielle ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 04:21:38 AM »
Surprisingly, I always going down found ramps (even slight ones) to be much harder than stairs. With stairs, you go down with your bad leg first and the good leg takes all the strain. My PT told me that ramps take a lot more strength. I found it was easier to go down an incline sideways, especially with a cane or crutches for support. That way I could lead with my bad leg and I didn't even really have to bend it, I could just lift from the hip.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline bummmmknee

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 05:57:38 PM »
Hi. thanks guy's.. Yes the crutches make it hard to go downhill.. because well it's hard to explain but it's like you are lifted to high in the beginning... I have a bend to 30 degrees , but I think it is more learning to manuver the crutches on a downslope... stairs..ugggg I hate them , can't go up or down without a rail... and so far I have to lock the brace to go up and down stairs.. but i am working on atrophy of my quad right now and hope it will get better... can you tell me what comes next in PT? All I was told was I would start bending in 2 weeks... what do they do?   thanks

Kerrie  ;)
1/14/04 TTT w/LR left knee; malalighnment of both knees:multiple dislocations...home PT again, no funds!  ROM 136

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 07:41:46 PM »
Heel slides, lots of heel slides :P

Be prepared, learning to bend again after being held in extension for a long time is really hard and painful.  It takes a lot of work and patience (and pain meds and ice)  Did I mention ice? :-[

Hang in there, you'll be OK
Danielle ;)
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 11:59:52 PM »
Kerrie,

I think it took me 7 months before i could walk downhill without limping :o... I live in a city with NO FLAT roads!... just near the river... but that's about it!
Stairs have never been a problem to me, did them from day1. Jumped up and down with my crutches, my mom turned pale every time she saw me going up&down stairs!
And yep, heel slides are crucial! Do them untill you get sick from hearing the word! And take painmeds!!

Good luck

~Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 02:22:02 AM »
TOTALLY normal... go slow, use railings and good friends  ;) to help you keep balance.  It'll definitely get better once you get more flexion back.  There are good exercises at the top right of this webpage under "The Rehab Gym."

Good luck Kerrie!
Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline bummmmknee

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 05:07:32 AM »
Hey thanks guys! lots of helpful info. I am so worried about the slow bending... I was in a cast about 4 years ago for 8 weeks and when it came off my other OS bent my leg completely back about 5 times really fast and off I went... it was stiff but very easy to keep the ROM.. now I have been in the immobilizer and brace 7 weeks and 2 more to go... since the surgery entailed moving tendon and bone they say I have to bend slowly.. is it going to suck real bad?  How do they help it along because it will barely budge to 20 degrees.. I mean it is bad.... Heat or something???   I don't have pain meds BK they made me very sick to my stomach even with nausea meds.. what is a good OTC pain med?  thanks

Kerrie

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 04:16:11 PM »
Kerrie,

For me, it hurt pretty darn bad.  I'm talking not quite the worst pain I've ever had, but pretty darn close.   :-[ (sorry, but i'm being honest).  The first week or so was the worst.  I had 0 degrees flexion when the brace came off initially.  I was able to take ibuprofen and tylenol with pretty good result though (it lessened the pain to the point i wasn't going to throw up :-/).  I have a similar problem with narcotics.  You should ask your OS if it's safe for you to take those together though, because everybody is different!  I also learned some relaxation breathing techniques which helped me relax and accept the pain when I was flexing and that actually helped a lot! :)

The one thing that really helped me was (once I could flex enough to sit in a chair and have my foot touch the floor) I would do my heel slides sitting up in a chair.  I would pull my leg back as far as it would go (or as far as allowed) and let gravity (and the floor) hold it in place.  I would leave it there for several minutes then release and try again.  

I found this to be a lot less painful than conventional heel slides and holding it in place helped get the flexion back quicker.  0-45 came pretty fast (two weeks) and then I earned back about one degree per day.  It's continued to improve over time, but still is nowhere near the other side (my case here was a little bit different though, as the MCL/medial capsule reconstruction tightened the joint to the point that it couldn't bend at all to make it stable, and the only way to regain flexion was to forcefully and permanently stretch the muscles and tendons:P, SO hopefully yours won't be quite as bad)

sorry, not trying to scare you.  maybe I should keep my mouth shut :-X

Danielle

32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline bummmmknee

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 04:46:14 AM »
 :o ahhhhh , Ok you scared me... but then again I already knew It was gona kill me, I was just hoping it would get better with certain tricks and some time. I have never been immobile for so long .  I was casted once for 5 weeks .. but the OS then bent my leg immediatley all the way and it was easy after that.. but now since I had surgery my OS says it has to be stretched slowly as to not tear the new placement of the tendon and bone.  right now I am 30 degrees in my brace.. and that just about kills me when sitting.. I just don't see how it will bend anymore .. it is so tight at 30... but I guess everyone says it will go.. so I will just have to keep doing it.. I am suppose to start next Friday at PT.... I am sorry to hear you have or had problems... complications... I fear I will to. I don't tolerate pain well and with the lack of meds I sure don't .. I did so poorly after surgery that the OS was really mad.. I was suppose to be doing SLR's for two weeks and when I went to my apt.. I had not done anything but lay on the couch .... now I am behind like crazy.. thanks again though for your reply.. it helps to know these things..

Kerrie

support