Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Looking for MD assoc with HSS  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Yogagimp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Looking for MD assoc with HSS
« on: January 06, 2017, 06:13:15 PM »
52 year old with long history of knee issues, significant pain increase over the past 6 months now interfering with my daily life - can't exercise anymore can't walk prolonged periods without pain, work on my feet as a nurse,,,etc. Need to investigate next steps, can't deny or delay much longer - losing muscle tone now.  Have been waiting years for technology to improve since my last surgical interventions (bilateral ACL repair in 84 and 89, subsequent mini arthroscopies, last one 2006) former gymnast and yogi (also with r labral hip tear and some arthritic wear there, s/p joint injection June 2015 and still ok). Looking for confirmation on MD recommendations from those with experience. Many thanks.
R ACL patellar tendon recon '84; L ACL patellar tendon recon '89; L meniscal debridement '91; new R posterior horm complex meniscal tear; bilateral osteoarthritis; awaiting possible meniscal fun

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
Re: Looking for MD assoc with HSS
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 05:17:40 AM »
52 year old with long history of knee issues, significant pain increase over the past 6 months now interfering with my daily life - can't exercise anymore can't walk prolonged periods without pain, work on my feet as a nurse,,,etc. Need to investigate next steps, can't deny or delay much longer - losing muscle tone now.  Have been waiting years for technology to improve since my last surgical interventions (bilateral ACL repair in 84 and 89, subsequent mini arthroscopies, last one 2006) former gymnast and yogi (also with r labral hip tear and some arthritic wear there, s/p joint injection June 2015 and still ok). Looking for confirmation on MD recommendations from those with experience. Many thanks.

If you are in Manhattan. Dr. Christopher Ahmad at Columbia for shoulder, elbow, knee, Dr. Bryan Kelly at HSS for hips, Dr. Joshua Dines at HSS for shoulder, elbow, knee.

Those are some of the top doctors in Manhattan. There are a few others as well. I've personally been a patient of Dr. Ahmad and have been very happy, although it was not for my knee. I'm also currently a patient of Dr. Joshua Dines, again not for my knee, but am very happy.

Dr. Bryan Kelly is one of the most regarded hip surgeons in the country, I am not a patient, but have heard great things. He has also helped Alex Rodriguez return to baseball after bi-lateral labral tears.

Your options outside of Manhattan are also plentiful. Dr. Brian Cole of Rush Orthopedics in Chicago. Dr. Neil Attrache of the Kerlan Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles, and Dr. Peter Millet of the Steadman Clinic in Vail come to mind.

If you have extensive cartilage damage you may also want to look at Dr. Jack Farr in Indiana and Dr. Broyles in Louisiana. What Dr. Broyles is doing nobody else in the US currently is.

Hope this helps.
PSNY
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:27:59 PM by psny »

Offline Yogagimp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Looking for MD assoc with HSS
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm not far from NY and have had previous procedures at HSS, but Bryan Kelly wouldn't see me after seeing my dossier - I'm not a good surgical risk for his stats (age, height, amount of wear) so I was turfed to Nawabi, anthother younger doc on the hip preservation service. I will certainly look up Dines and Ahmad. I have a consult with Pearle, who I know does TKR/PKR but want to hear what he has to say. Not a fan of the high tibial osteotomy. Problem is with the valgus misalignment the issue is not just cartilage anymore...anyway, thanks for your reply!
R ACL patellar tendon recon '84; L ACL patellar tendon recon '89; L meniscal debridement '91; new R posterior horm complex meniscal tear; bilateral osteoarthritis; awaiting possible meniscal fun