Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: unispacer  (Read 922 times)

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
unispacer
« on: February 25, 2004, 04:30:30 AM »
Looking for any information about the unispacer, only found 1 positive feedback so far, and a lot of negative!  I'm bumming about the ole' knee's.  I'm already bone on bone, only 32....too young for tkr the OS says.  I'm 6 weeks post-op ACL/Medial Meniscus repair, don't know all the right terms, but also had 30 small holes drilled, hoping to improve some arthritis.  OS says my left knee looks like a 70 year old about to have tkr.  I just started wearing an unloading brace on my right leg. Pain is horrible....anyone with some advice or same experience, please let me hear from you!  ~stefanie
89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: unispacer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 04:36:55 AM »
Stefanie,

Wow, I feel like I'm listening to myself!  I'm in pretty much the same boat, only 29!  I just got fitted for an unloader too, which helps but is extremely uncomfortable.  If you find any answers, please let me know!

Best of luck,
Danielle ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 08:47:40 PM »
I would stay away from a unispacer. I've heard nothing but bad things about them. If only one meniscus in your knee is bad you might want to look into a unicompartmental knee replacement. Osteotomy is another option.

Offline JessToni

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 11:08:45 PM »
I would stay away from the Unispacer as well.  I mentioned it to my dr. as an option for me and he said he wouldn't do it.  He doesn't think they will even be around as an option for much longer because of the high failure rate.
Is your damage all in one compartment of your knee?  That is the case with me.  I am only 24 but have had arthritis since I was 2yrs old and a bunch of knee injuries from sports over the years.  Luckily only the medial side of my knee is in bad shape.  Since I am also too young for a knee replacement, even a partial one won't last a very long time, I have opted for the Osteotomy surgery.  I am currently using an unloader to give me some relief until the surgery.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 09:53:27 PM »
im in the same boat. I had my last partial meniscectomy Jan 03, and I have about 25% of the meniscus left, not enough to keep bone off bone. I have medial joint space collapse, and signs of degenerative joint disease already. I've been wearing an unloader since about 6 months postop, as the only thing to do right now is to try and slow the rate of wear and control pain. The next step will probably be an osteotomy, but I don't want that until i have to.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.