Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: GelrinC - Any information?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline BezProblemów

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
GelrinC - Any information?
« on: January 03, 2017, 02:24:45 AM »
I stumbled upon this link today while doing some research (may have been on these forums but I can't find it again):
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/regentis-receives-ide-approval-for-pivotal-gelrinc-clinical-trial-594800251.html

Has anyone heard much about GelrinC?  It sounds like it really could be a great solution for regenerating cartilage with microfracture.  I have recently been considering Cartiform based on some success stories here, but GelrinC sounds like it could be done arthroscopically (can they do the UV light portion with a scope too?), so a potentially much better recovery time vs. Cartiform.

All I can find is the press release about the IDE for GelrinC.  I can't find any information about US clinical trials.  Sounds like the European trial on 23 folks was focused on femoral condyle defects.

Offline LateralMeniscusIssuesGuy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
Re: GelrinC - Any information?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
This does sound interesting.  Would be great to hear of anyone who knows more.

I would think, while as a fluid it should have the ability to completely fill a defect, the nature of the fluid is to form a flat surface, so this approach might not not allow for replicating any curved surface which a particular surface might need to have.  Maybe that is less of an issue than I imagine it to be.
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (2/3 removed), pristine articular cartilage...2013
Return to impact sport, continual responsive swelling ever since
Mild pain onset..2016
Arthroscopy reveals grade 2/3 articular cartilage damage lateral compartment behind kneecap
What now? Allograft / brace / nothing?

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
I've read about this in the past. While I think this will help with creating a more uniform repair that fills the defect better, it will still not regenerate native hyaline cartilage. The tissue will undoubtedly still be fibrocartilage. Personally, I'd look else where. CartiONE / INSTRUCT seems to be one of the more promising treatments in Europe right now.

Offline BezProblemów

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:31:28 AM »
I was wondering about the type of cartilage that would appear too.  "GelrinC has been shown to effectively regenerate high quality cartilage" - that quote makes me think it is indeed hyaline like cartilage.  But that was a quote from the CEO of the company, so I can't read too much into it.  But then Dr. Cole also says that the results have been promising.  So maybe it's not crazy to think that hyaline is possible with this treatment.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 12:42:00 AM »
I haven't researched it, but look for evidence that they are measuring cartilage repair tissue to the internationally agreed upon standard ICRS II.   Perhaps it's not perfect (the defined standard) , but at least should provide consistency in measuring hyaline cartilage content against a known baseline.
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.