Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My knee is foaming from incision - I believe all the synovial fluid leaked out?  (Read 758 times)

Offline cherir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Had my knee cleaned out through arthroscopic surgery 10 days ago and all has been well.  2 nights ago, a stitch "blew" and I noticed because all this slightly yellow sticky fluid was running down my shin.

As soon as that stopped, literal white foam started coming out. It looks like Dow Bathroom cleaner or when you use foaming hand soap?  Pure white, lightweight, no odor and "squirts" out.    It is to the point now that I feel it and hear it before it poofs out more.

Engineer husband just said, "What if your synovial fluid is what leaked out and now nothing is left in your knee?"

I called the doctor today but no one called me back.  I have antibiotic cream on the opening and have pressure and a bandage on it.

I see online docs recommend keeping leg immobilized so knee can heal.  (I did have a cortisone shot a few weeks before this surgery, possibly impacting healing.)

Is this urgent?  Anything else I should do?  I will definitely reach someone at doc office tomorrow.

Thanks!

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Such a shame that we did not help you. I apologise.
Yes it would have been synovial fluid. There is no problem about the fluid 'running out' because it is continually produced by the cells (synovial cells) that line the inside of the capsule that surrounds the joint. During the procedure, the surgeon would also have introduced a clear (saline type) irrigation fluid into your knee, so there might still have been some of that.

The real issue is that the wound now seems open to the atmosphere and it is important that :
1. no infection tracks into the joint space.
2. a 'fistula' does not form and continually drain
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
I am moving this post to the General section now.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Monal1951

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello mate, if your knee fluild would leaked out your knee would swell badly! and there would be not enough online pharmacy reviews that would be help you to deal with it. maybe some leaked, but definitely not all, or at least that's my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:48:30 PM by Monal1951 »