Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3rd ACL tear, surgery not recommended, TCM and options?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline AKlein1111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3rd ACL tear, surgery not recommended, TCM and options?
« on: December 19, 2016, 03:25:55 AM »
Hello,

I have recently been told I tore my ACL for the third time (all on the same knee Allograft first time, hamstring autograft second time). One doctor says it's completely torn, and another says certain fibers are intact. The doctors do not recommend surgery. Now I am faced with the realization I am going to be walking around without a knee, and will most likely never play rugby again (my favorite sport, and how I tore my ACL all three times).

I know my knee can be made stable with other muscles strengthening, and I will certainly do that. I was wondering what sort of alternative treatments are out there, and what success they have. I've heard of some "miracle cures" with Chinese medicine, but at this point I'll look for stability, pain reduction, and a way to stay somewhat active. Though if I could get back into rugby that would be awesome. I know it's borderline masochistic but I really enjoy playing.

Currently I'm in Singapore, and if anyone has any specific recommendations please let me know. I'm pretty bummed out about all of this, and could use a pick-me-up. Thank you for any help you are able to give.

Offline BarefootPilgrim

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: 3rd ACL tear, surgery not recommended, TCM and options?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 07:05:48 PM »
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear you've reinjured your knee for the third time - I know how that feels!

I also know what you mean about missing out on your favourite sport, although I would hazard a guess that without surgery the chances of replaying again would be pretty slim...

Have you found a way to be active in your current situation? Gym or cycling?

There was another poster on this forum asking about a 3rd ACL surgery: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=67414.0

His surgeon seemed optimistic that he could return to skiing after surgery, but maybe reply to his post and see if you can exchange some info!

Wish you all the best for your recovery.