Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lack of Flexion Post-ACL Reconstruction  (Read 365 times)

Offline kevin1084

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lack of Flexion Post-ACL Reconstruction
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:40:47 PM »
Hi guys,

I am a 20-year-old male who tore his ACL and lateral meniscus on June 2017. I got my surgery in December which consisted of ACL reconstruction and lateral meniscectomy.

I am currently 3 months post-op and can only flex my knee about 100 degrees. My PT and OS say I'm behind schedule and they are concerned at this slow progress. In addition, my extension is not the greatest either, as I am about 2 degrees above 0 degrees, not being able to hyper-extend yet. I get very sharp pain on the lateral side of my knee when trying to extend or flex past my limits.

I'm wondering if it is time to panic about my lack of range of motion. Am I getting to the stage where it's going to be impossible to get full range of motion back, equivalent to my healthy knee? Or is it okay to recover at a relatively slower rate, as long as I keep progressing and working hard with my exercises? I want to get back to the range of motion of my healthy knee but I'm extremely scared that its already too late for me to get back to my old form and I was wondering if anyone has had similar range of motion problems and would like to share their thoughts on my situation. I'm feeling extremely hopeless and hoping someone can provide some insight.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Lack of Flexion Post-ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
Hi Kevin

In practice, anything over 130/135ROM is a bonus - PATIENCE - have your good knee measured next time you visit your PT - should be in the region of 145ROM

JohnK/ Mamnchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline kevin1084

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lack of Flexion Post-ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 02:52:50 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not exactly sure how measuring the range of motion on my healthy leg would indicate anything about the lack of flexion on my injured leg? Could you please elaborate?

Thanks
Kevin