Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Left Knee Plica  (Read 468 times)

Offline Bluey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Left Knee Plica
« on: November 22, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
After 7 months of having a small knee op for a Plica. I  still have problems with pain in the knee capsule. Is it normal to still have pain, clicking, stiffness and going down stairs within  and loss blood circulation in the left foot i.e still dark redness round the toes and the joints.

I have seen my orthopedic surgeon, but alas his not very helpful and keeps sending me back for more physio and take pain killers.

Please can someone shead some light on this. It is more the clicking and the pain within the knee that worries me the most.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Left Knee Plica
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »
Hi There,

I went through the same surgical procedure as you have been through in November 2009 of medial plica excision and fat pad trimming. The clicking and stiffness could be scar tissue inside the kneecap, if the clicking is not painful then there is no need to get too concerned, if it is painful as it clicks then you need to see your OS again and say to him you want an MRI scan or see another OS, your present OS sounds unhelpful.

Have you done any friction massage therapy around the portals to help break down the scar tissue build up? Seeing a Sport physiotherapist and Sports Medicine Doctor can help you with the pain issues you experiencing right now.   

Good luck getting the knee pain sorted.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Bluey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »
thank you  for your quick response and information Clarkey,

My problem is that i am British Citizen living in Germany. Their rules on getting another or a second opinion is not so easy and i do not wish to sound like a Drama Queen. But i am suppose to see the OS that done the op. I have had pain with the clicking for some time now. I had over 24 sessions of physio and included friction massage to help with quad muscle just above the knee. Still have a slight limp and yet still a problem going down stairs.

I am quite lucky that my actual home doctor as they call them in Germany. Is great and maybe able to get me an appointment for a second opinion.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:41:01 PM »
I am not familiar with the how the health system works in Germany so cannot really recommend which OS to see, I only have knowledge in OSís within the UK. After my scope #2 of anterior interval release surgery (AIR ) my OS mentioned doing patella mobilisation that is demonstrated in the YouTube video link to prevent the scar tissue building up too much inside the kneecap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRmuxXcJU8

Anterior knee pain and PFS of the kneecap will give you pain and discomfort while going down the stairs along with slight limping.  Have you had a gait analysis? Custom made orthotics can help ease the pain and regular swimming is also beneficial for PFS putting minimal impact on the kneecaps.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming