Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar tendon rupture reinforced wire  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
Patellar tendon rupture reinforced wire
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:57:36 PM »
I had a ruptured patellar tendon repaired 6 weeks ago.
I am.working on my ROM. However I feel that I am stuck.at 90 degrees. Is the reinforced wire stops me from increasing my ROM? ?? It suppose to come.off in 3 weeks.
My surgeon does not want me to weight bear yet. However he said that I am improving well and wants me to work on ROM.?? Any body with the same issue...

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
Re: Patellar tendon rupture reinforced wire
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:02:04 PM »
Doubt it's the wire. 90degrees at 6 weeks is really good. They wouldnt move mine until 6 weeks so youre getting good advice. ROM will get there in time and is to do with strength and elasticity of the muscles and tendon I think. The next month or so will be really frustrating and is the stage in recovery I hated most because you just want your leg to get better and improve you will be thinking of the things you used to do. Healing is a slow process and will subtlety improve week by week little by little. At 6 months I'm by no means fully up and running but am walking about and just feel greatful for what I can do and feel more accepting. Hopefully I will continue to make progress. Good luck and hope you can find some outlets for your frustration. 😉

Knees together and take the fall

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:35:54 PM »
Thank you for your post.
It is definitely frustrating.  Every time I do my ROM exercises, the knee is stiff and as if I have started from the beginning.  However after few minutes I get it again to about 90. Never passed 90. And ortho has asked me not to weight bear so still on crutches  ( which is weird) I should be walking without crutch at this point. .. hopefully it gets better.. and ROM gets better and no scar tissue would remain. ( I have seen some.really disturbing results on this site). .. I am planing to get back to back in Feb. 2017. ( almost 4 mouths out) since I have more of a physical work... ???

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 03:31:37 AM »
Chiropractor2001, must say I don't understand the rationale behind no weight bearing. If you have a brace how will weight affect the repair to the tendon?Anatomically this does not make sense. I would suggest a second opinion because the sooner you get mobile the faster will be your recovery. What does your PT say? I was back at work 3 days after RQT surgery, tossed my crutches after 5 days, due to arthritic wrists and was hiking ,uphill only six weeks to the day after surgery. As a chiropractor I expect you would have enough knowledge to take charge of your situation.
Good luck
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
Hi Stuart
You are absolutely right. I treat these conditions in the clinic after 6 months. Active release technique., graston technique., laser... the results are always great. Making sure the hip is good as well. The issue is that the ortho who knows who I am and my wife who is a family physician is saying not to weight bear since the quad activation is too much... I argued with him

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »
And as for the pt .. most of these pts don't know anything.
I asked to go through the pt at the hospital so the surgeon has a saying on it.
Unless you find a really good therapist, the rest are no good.  I wish I could treat and do proper soft tissue therapy to loosen the tissue myself.
Confused.. the ortho scared me and last thing I want to re rupture... I need to be back to my full practice in Feb..almost 4.5 months post surgery.. the ortho has said that I can do it.... not sure right now..