Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Total rupture of the right patellartendon - Netherlands, Amsterdam area  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Urby020

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Hi all,

Sadly late September 28th I ruptured the right patellar tendon while playing footy. After rushing to the ER (xray was made), at least 2 MD's were not able to determine the exact trauma/injury. They told me that, since the knee was severely swollen and the fact that i was in a lot of pain, they couldn't make any diagnose. They sent me home with crutches and told me to have a week of rest and icing.

A week later my knee was still abnormally swollen, which triggered the MD to schedule a MRI scan another week later. Eventually on the MRI it was very clear that the patellar tendon was torn exactly in the middle of the tendon. Surgery followed a couple of days later on October 14th.

For the surgery the OS told me that he had used loop wires  for additional support. Also After the repair, he was able to bend my knee for to 90 degrees (which according to him was a good thing). Post-op protocol entails: knee immobilization for 6 weeks (without bending of the knee) and gradual weight bearing after 2 weeks. After the 6 weeks, i'm allowed to start bending the knee with expertise of a PT. 

I'm currently almost at 5 weeks post-op and am able to walk without crutches, with the knee immobililiser. Also (against my OS's advice), i'm able to passively bend the knee for +/- 35deg. without any problems. Throughout the day i'm doing multiple side hip abductions, heel raises, ankle pumps and controlled quad tensioning exercises.
I don't think it's beneficiary for the healing process to do nothing in those 6 weeks.

To that regard, do ya'll think my post-op protocol is too conservative? Also is it necessary to remove the wires used by the OS?

I hope to start working in the gym on the upperbody again quite soon. For my remainder sport desires i know i will need to wait at least 5/6 months for restarting those activities. :(

Side note reading through all your experiences gives me hope and motivation for a prosperous rehab. Long way to go tho!

Cheers,

Urbiene (Amsterdam, Netherlands area)

29 years
Footy 2 times a week
Fitness 3/4 times a week
Jogging 1 once a week

Right complete mid PTR: 09/28/2016
Repair surgery w/wires for suport: 10/14/2016

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
Re: Total rupture of the right patellartendon - Netherlands, Amsterdam area
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 08:52:12 PM »
Hi Urby,

Bad kick.

The week wait for diagnosis nothe ideal buto at least they got there.

I would agree that passive flexion early is a good thing but I'm no medical expert though and others might think it not wise to go against the medical advice. There seems to be so much uncertainty around this and from my own experience the pt would not move my legs initially contrary to the OS advice to get it going. The result is massive quad wastage in both legs as i did both and 6 months on am still rebuilding and progress is little by little. The rupture in the middle seems a unusual too . Have you had any tests to rule out any other underlying cause? Probably just unlucky but best to rule things out.

It is a very frustrating injury and acceptance is very difficult but pushing too hard too soon could result in rerupture and set you back further. 6 months might be a bit soon for running about perhaps? Getting to the gym will be good . I've found getting into the pool is helpful too. There are some helpful posts on here if you read the threads.  Registered the wires they told me they would come out but have now said they will probably stay in.Best of luck with recovery.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:55:27 PM by Bascat »
Knees together and take the fall

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:47:56 AM »
Hi.. I have the same injury. I torn my patellar tendon on Oct 3and surgery on Oct 6. I am 6 weeks post op and no weight bearing. I have started ROM exercises. I also have the extra wire which is coming out on Dec 7.2016. In three weeks. Then rehab for rom and getting the quads back.
I let you know how it goes?? As for rom , you should push a bit more... at least get it to 80 in 2 or 3 weeks from now ( passively) I heard it takes 3 months for the patella to be really good.
Let me know how you are improving???

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:20:30 AM »
How are you doing??

Any progress in your condition?
Hang in there.. and share your progress..

Offline Urby020

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »
Hi Bascat and chiropractor2001, thanks for your feedback.  Appreciate it!

Today I am able to passively flex the knee for (based on eyetest) 50-60 degrees. I'm not officially started with PT yet. Hence I guess it's an acceptable stage to ben in? Further more quite good on weight-bearing. To that end, without the immobiliser I am now able to walk short pieces inside the house. A week from now i hope to get the go ahead for PT.

@chiropractor2001 just from curiosity why are you not bearing weight after 6 weeks?

I will keep you guys posted on progress.  Also very interested in how it's coming along for you guys.

Reg, Urbiene

Right complete mid PTR: 09/28/2016
Repair surgery w/wires for suport: 10/14/2016

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »
Hi.. the ortho was afraid that I re  rupture the tendon. However , at 5 and half weeks I started walking without the crutches and flex the knee to almost 90 degrees.
In my clinic, I have learned not to listen to the ortho too much.
I also have started doing vibration therapy ( vibe plate) and ems to stimulate the muscle.  In 2 weeks the reinforced wire comes out and that is when I go full on ROM and strengthening exercises...( at 8 weeks)
Planning to go back to work in Jan 15 so not that much time left...

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
By the way.. I love Amsterdam.. I have been there maybe 5 times with my wife when we first got married..
The only suggestion that I have for you is to start increasing ROM. The longer you do it , it becomes harder.
Have they taken the reinforced wire out yet?

support