Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post op trochlea ACI experiences  (Read 2361 times)

Offline jesykes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post op trochlea ACI experiences
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:38:01 AM »
Hi All, I am new to this site and am hoping for some input on others' experiences following ACI for a proximal (high) trochlea lesion. I am a runner and lost a 2.5 cm piece of cartilage from my medial trochlea, full-thickness, back in late July while trail running, fairly high up, because my knee was catching at around 25 degrees of extension. Had arthroscopy to remove multiple fragments of cartilage, but the catching persisted when my patella rode over the defect. About 7-8 weeks later, when my cells were properly grown up, I had a subchondroplasty due to persistent bone marrow edema, together with ACI. I am now 4 weeks out and up to 80 degrees on the CPM machine. All is going well except that whenever my patella passes the region of the defect on the CPM, there is still some mild catching - not painful, just annoying, and sometimes I have to jiggle my knee from side to side to avoid feeling it, presumably because the defect is not yet completely filled. I also notice this when doing passive extension from 90 degrees. Has anyone had this experience? Any experiences on time to resolution? Thanks for all the helpful and interesting posts.

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: Post op trochlea ACI experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:58:20 AM »
I didn't have any real catching, but I found that if I sort of warmed up the knee by using the CPM at a lower range of motion and building up made the CPM time easier. Otherwise the knee would be creaky and sore.

Also it could be related to remaining swelling. How much of that do you have remaining?

Offline stevew4270

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:59:16 PM »
At 4 weeks out I know my knee made alot of cracking, jumping and it dose get better given time, asy for me to say but give it more time and I am pritty confident it will get smoother. Good luck!!

Offline jesykes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Trochlea ACI failure and now osteochondral allograft
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 01:19:41 AM »
OK, continuing this thread. After a long rehab and return to running 14 months post-op, I experienced pain and crepitus. Arthroscopy showed no evidence of the ACI graft. Crushing. I am now 3 days post op from fresh osteochondral allograft transplantation to the trochlea groove. No CPM, no crutches, locked brace with weight bearing permitted as tolerated. I can do leg raises without pain and already have 30 degrees ROM on heel slides. I guess all the rehab from the ACI helped. I am starting this blog to help others. All prayers for success welcome.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
Sorry to hear about your failed ACI, but let's truly hope the osteochondral allograft transplantation will work!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Dave33

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
The patella/trochlea is a really tough place for any success in cartilage regen... there's just so much shearing force. My microfracture and oats both failed, even with an unloading osteotomy, but I'm feeling positive about a pfjr - don't know your age, but keep in mind there's always other options post. Wishing you the best as a fellow runner.

support