Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellaectomy and Cortizone Shots...  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Indigo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • So much more
Patellaectomy and Cortizone Shots...
« on: February 24, 2004, 01:12:37 PM »
Right so...

In October I had a LR on the right knee...and have had my share of problems. And now...ladies and gents...its getting worse!-facepalm-

Had an MRI last Friday which found some fluid and swelling around the patella. Apparently now the talk is a scope to shave off the ragged parts of my patella...OR...the -ectomy

But first, they want me to have the shots. Now...every experience I've ever had with those things has been negative. And I'm just kinda reluctant to waste money on something that could, according to them, be weekly for a LONG time.

I guess what kinda frustrates me is that unless you have knee problems...you mostly don't GET what people like myself...and all of us really...go through. You have no frame of reference.

-is ranting and apologizes profusely-  :-/

I guess I'm just nervous and scared and wound up that I'm going to have this surgery and no one's going to understand that hey...this isn't something fun for me. This sucks!

-sigh-

Right...done ranting.
Understanding is a kind of ecstasy.-(Carl Sagan)

When I see you a blanket of stars covers me in my bed -(Counting Crows)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Patellaectomy and Cortizone Shots...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 05:52:25 PM »
that does suck, and welcome to the board...people here understand  ;) We can all say we've been there.. and hey I hear ya!  
How old are you? I haven't heard many positive results with the patelectomy. I did do a little research on it, as when I was freaking out about my knees wrecking my life, I thought hey..if we just got rid of the things, life would be good. ::) However, after getting people's opinions, reading some articles and talking to Dan who actually had this done....it sounds like a not so good idea. :-/
Maybe the cortizone shots will help this time.  :'( It's always hard to know.
I hope that thtings come together for you..and do'nt feel bad aobut ranting...that's hwat this place is for.
Goodluck and hang in there..here if you ever need anything
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Indigo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • So much more
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 05:58:24 AM »
I'm 30.

And I'm just concerned that the shots may only make matters worse and I'll never know it until its FAR too late.

They also are giving me the impression that the shots will be for MONTHS...which concerns me as well.

It just seems like no matter WHICH way I turn...the options are lousy.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 03:33:10 PM »
I can understand that,  :-[ feeling lost and helpless is not a compfortable feeling at all for anyone.  :-/ What sort of shots do they want to try, Cortisone or Synvisc type stuff? :-/ I would not think that they would inject you with cortisone all that often as in larger amounts it isn't safe.  :-X
As far as having the surgery goes, it's hard for people, you are right who haven't been ther to understand. My parents have had a hard time understanding, but after My Dad had lunch with My OS not so long ago..he's my cousin too...They seem to be much more accepting of what I am going through with all this. ??? Who knew?
just know that when you come here..people understand, we know that surgery isn't fun,and that you'd do anything in your power to not have to go through it..but sometimes, it's the way it is.
Goodluck with the surgery if you do go ahead with it, and I am here if you ever need to talk, rant, vent, scream..or just  :-[
Take care. hugs and hope for a less painful tommorow
Linds
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 03:34:01 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Indigo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • So much more
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 07:27:37 PM »
It's Coritsone they're suggesting.

And now, even better...its so uncomfortable now that I can barely sleep. The swelling is just out of control.

They've also done an MRI which says there's fluid on the knee.

Offline vidar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 09:11:55 PM »
This might seem like a stupid question, but...Has your doctor tried giving you either Vioxx or Celebrex in massive doses?  I had a lateral release w/ TTT and was wrestling nine weeks later and taking alot of vioxx actually caused my swelling to drop by 2cm while wrestling.  Before that my coach wanted meto get cortizone shots but I want to save those for latter.

Also if you are having pain why don't you ask for a hypnotic sleep aid and some pain killers to hold you over until you can think things through?

Offline Indigo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • So much more
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 11:04:18 AM »
Not a stupid question....

We tried it...but it was making me violently ill to take so much.

Nothing like throwing up until you have a nose bleed.