Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Roux Goldthwaite - what next  (Read 655 times)

Offline WJF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Roux Goldthwaite - what next
« on: November 09, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
I had a Roux Goldthwait prodedure in1980 when I was 19 years old.  The operation, although successful, in so far as my patella hasn't dislocated or slid since, my knee has never worked properly since.  It now grinds worse than before the operation, it gives way, i can't walk properly and going down hill or down steps is extremely difficult.  I can't weight bare on it and I am in continuous pain.  all these have been present since I had the operation but has gradually gotten worse over time.
I really want to know if anyone else had this operation a long time ago (post op rehab very different back then).  I would also like to know whether you have had long term problems, and whether a orthopaedic surgeon has been able to help
thank you

Offline Lozstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Roux Goldthwaite - what next
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
Hi WJF
I had a Roux Goldwaith in right knee in 1981 when I was 19 years old after 5 years of my knee dislocating - knee would slide back upon straightening my leg and I would just carry on! When I started driving I found it hard to weightbear fully on the right leg to get out of the car - I started struggling with stairs and ended up accepting the surgery with no idea of what was involved I certainly wasn't told what to expect post operatively and I was over a year possibly longer before I considered myself fully recovered. However I got a full range of movement back, could kneel and after about 4-5 years I got sensation back in my skin. I'd say that over the last 25 years I hadn't had a dislocation (until 9 weeks ago but that's another story please see my first post on here), but kind of got use to popping and crunching and intermittent periods of coming down stairs been difficult this often coincided with weight gain and when I lost weight and trained I was able to run 10k and half marathons. With hindsight and have always considered the operation pointless as deeply regret having it (I am told they don't perform it anymore) anyway in answer to your question I would find a good physiotherapist to see if strengthening (it's usually the ROM) makes a difference as my experience with consultants is they often are keen to operate - however they have MRI's now which would be a positive first step so they can have a good look at what's going on before making a treatment plan. Let me know how you get on all the best x
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:40:14 AM by Lozstar »

Offline nathigut

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Roux Goldthwaite - what next
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
I don't know if you guys are still keeping up with the replies to this post, but I'm going to post anyways ;)

I had a Roux-Goldthwait procedure done in Canada when I was 18 in 2011/2012 on both knees. Like you experienced, I had better stability afterwards but the grinding/cracking in my knees got increasingly worse relatively fast.

I live in Switzerland at the moment and decided to let my knees get checked out a second time due to the constant grinding and the odd dislocation as well as the increasing instability during downhill walks, stop/go sports, snowboarding etc...

My surgeon here said that he found the Roux Goldthwait procedure an outdated one. He said it's more of a quick-fix rather than a long term solution. He recommend he do a Trochleoplasty on both my knees to deepen the groove in which the patella runs in. I did this mid December 2017 and I'm currently still recovering from the surgery on my right knee. What I can say at this point is that my "new" knee is not at all grinding/cracking anymore and I'm already walking normally again without a brace. I can't bend it all the way yet but that's getting better day by day.

Depending on what your main knee problem is, this might be an option for you! From what I read, it's a procedure that's more common in Europe at the moment but I would definitely ask about it!

#trochleoplasty #rouxgoldthwait