Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Young male with knee pain/problems - I don't know what to do  (Read 1257 times)

Offline TempHype

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Young male with knee pain/problems - I don't know what to do
« on: November 02, 2016, 08:46:22 AM »
I am 24 years old. I've been having these issues with my knees for about 3 years. It wasn't a result of an injury, it just came gradually

The pain is about a 3/10 and it isn't constant or debilitating, but it's there. In my left knee, I get pain around the top of the kneecap when I bend. I also have a pain on the outside back of my knee when I cross that leg horizontally. In my right knee, there's a sharp pain on the inside kneecap. Both of my knees ache slightly sometimes when I sit and I get occasional shin splints. If I squat to pick something up, sometimes it'll hurt. Very sporadically, the inside of my knees will flare up. Despite this, I have no swelling, just a bit of tenderness.

Perhaps the most concerning thing are the sounds and feelings. When I straighten or bend my leg sometimes I hear a pop or crackling in the kneecap. Sometimes I feel buzzing/vibration  behind my knee and I can feel my kneecap creaking a bit like a squeaky door.

I can still perform tasks and play sports, although I'm not as athletic as before. I really don't know how this happened. My sports doctor told me it was patella femoral syndrome. My x-rays came back normal, but I got an ultrasound that should mild bursitis.

I always read that these sounds shouldn't be of concern unless it is associated or occurs with pain. The sounds are there, but it doesn't always occur with pain. When it cracks or pops, it's not always painful

I want to fix my knees. I really don't want osteoarthritis and to be limited and living in pain for the rest of my life. What steps should I take and what does it sound like my condition is?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:23:18 AM by TempHype »

Offline muscle20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Young male with knee pain/problems - I don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:21:40 AM »
go see the doctor in the first instance get a proper diagnosis before searching on here

Offline Puffy the Knee Slayer

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 11:38:08 AM »
Did your sports doctor refer you for physiotherapy? That would be my first call for patella femoral diagnosis.

Also have they done an MRI of your knee? As that can show more detail than an x ray or ultrasound, depending on the injury.

I have cracking and popping of my kneecap and I have patella maltracking as well as fat pad impingement - but yours may be caused by something else entirely.

Have they offered you any treatment, or are just telling you not to worry about the cracking?

If it were me I'd ask for an MRI and go and see a sports physiotherapist. Good luck.
06/07 ankle sprain - collapsed arch
01/08 fall doing physio
06/09 MRI fat pad impingement
01/13 MRI medial meniscal tear
03/15 - decent orthotics
01/15 MRI - pes anseurine bursitis, SPL fat pad impingement, PFMaltracking
Cortisone 04/15; 03/16; 06/16; 08/15 Cortisone+Duralane; 10/16 Cortisone+Botox

Offline Louisamith

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »