Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Complete Tear of Quadriceps Tendon - Just Over 1 Mo. since Surgery  (Read 4709 times)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 131
Hi everyone! I am 37 years old and located in Southern California, USA (just turned 37 October 21st). Before my injury I was pretty active with my home gym I built, after having started a workout program to lose weight, as well as changing my diet entirely.

After having read the quad tendon thread (all 81 pages) here (http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33177.1200) I decided to create an account and tell my story. I guess probably my main question is if my timeline is normal, below what normally happens, or if I am ahead most others in my progress. It's hard for me to remember that it has only been 1 month and ten days since surgery, because I have never had anything like this and it is very frustrating at times. Especially for my poor mother. She's being such a trooper at taking care of me during this time but she is now doing everything I was doing for her before, along with taking care of the animals I took care of. Anyway...

The reason why I am starting this out talking about the year prior is it is kind of related. See, one of my side passions is bowling. Can't get enough of it. The year prior in October 2015 I had gotten really sick at the bowling alley - I got so dizzy with vertigo I was bedridden for around 2 days. That turned me off of bowling for awhile. My story begins almost a year later, on August 28th, 2016. I wanted to go bowling for the first time in about year, because I missed it and wanted to get back into it again.

So I get lane 13 (and think nothing of the significance of that number). On the 3rd frame of the first game, I injure myself in a way that will completely change my life. I am not an injury-prone person, and have generally been injury-free, so I have no experience with this kind of stuff. So anyway, back to the lane: I am on the 3rd frame of the first game. As I am sliding on my left foot, my left foot keeps going. My right attempts to stabilize and get myself standing, but it's not happening.

Gravity takes over and I fall flat on my back onto the hard wood, fully bending both knees but my right twists itself in a way that results in a "holy s**t WTF was that" and one of the most painful things I had felt in a long time. I refused to resign myself to the fact that I was injured and tried to get up again. SPLAT. I fell flat on my face. There is no support in my right knee. This is when I start to get extremely concerned. I am unable to walk for a good solid 5-10 mins afterwards. I end up crawling to the chairs and calling my stepdad. Thanks to the help of some fellow bowlers, I am able to get up into the chair. My stepdad is luckily able to bring crutches and I can finally walk.

We get to my stepdad's Ford F-150 without much issue. Except when I try to get into the truck. I fall twice until I am able to regain some sense of balance and get into the truck eventually. Here is where both of us think "yeah it's time to go to the emergency room to get it checked out." The emergency room thankfully is not a long trip and is really just 5 mins away around the corner.

At the emergency room, the primary diagnosis is "everything looks fine and nothing looks out of place". And I am sent home with some motrin. I am still unable to walk. At this point I can somewhat use my knee, I can't drive and I have to live my life in a recliner, with modified activity. I cannot work, except from home because I do websites for a living. I haven't been able to go to work since Friday August 26th.

I finally get an appointment with a doctor the following week. He wants to wait about two weeks for the swelling to go down so that we can assess the damage more accurately, even though I cannot fulfill his test of trying to get onto the doctor's bed using my right knee on a stool. After the two weeks, near September 14th, I am still on crutches and have absolutely no improvement in my condition. I still cannot fulfill his test. The next step he said was to have an MRI done and to see an orthopedic surgeon. He sends me to get an MRI on September 14th, so I can see an orthopedic surgeon on September 16th.

The news from the orthopedic surgeon on September 16th is shocking. I had completely torn my right leg's quadriceps tendon, and need surgery to correct it. I was scheduled for surgery immediately, on September 21st, 2016 (September 21st seems to be a popular date for this surgery, after reading the entire 81-page quad tendon thread). I went through surgery without much incident, save for the first several days recovering from the anesthesia where I had some slight nausea but nothing to write home about.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING PICTURES ARE KIND OF GRUESOME. IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH I SUGGEST AVOIDING THEM.

This is the picture of my surgery incision around September 30th:
http://i.imgur.com/WAe2CDE.jpg

I finally had all of my surgery staples taken out on October 14th. On October 21st, about a week after having my surgery staples taken out, here is what my surgical incision looks like as of Oct. 21st: http://i.imgur.com/wdB8Fmh.jpg. My surgeon was concerned that it is not healing quite as fast as he had hoped and wanted me to come in for an extra appointment on October 26th. Thankfully, it is now healing quite faster (this is my knee as of October 26th): http://i.imgur.com/WsdLqnE.jpg. As of October 14th, I was able to start putting 50% weight on my right knee.

My surgeon's main concern was with the bleeding but it has stopped. He thinks that my knee is healing up from below and replacing the necrotic skin with new skin. Thankfully, that seems to have started, albeit kind of slowly. The scabbing / necrotic skin has started to flake off but not very fast, which seems to prove his hypothesis. On October 26th, I am finally able to start putting 100% weight on my right knee. I am, however, unable to bend or otherwise use my knee until the necrotic / scabbing area heals in full. So I still have to use crutches and keep my leg 100% straight until such time that the necrotic / scabbing area heals completely.

My next step is potentially plastic surgery if my wound continues to not heal, but I think we have to remember that it has only been around two weeks since I had my staples removed. I have been taking steps to help this heal faster. See, my main vice is food: I can't get enough of fast food. So I have been changing my diet to include many more vegetables and vitamins in order to help the healing process.

Whew. That is a lot of information and I hope I haven't bored anyone here to tears. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:45:57 AM by TurboCoder3000 »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Complete Tear of Quadriceps Tendon - Just Over 1 Mo. since Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »
Hi TurboCoder300

Some story - welcome to KneeGuru

Go to webpage on KneeGuru, Ruptured Patella  /surgery, and join so many other unhappy patients with the same problem - takes time to normality and PATIENCE is required.

Where do you live?

Keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »
Hi John,

Thank you for your help! I shall do so.

I know it takes time for sure. It is both mine and my mom's patience that has been tested. My surgeon has my recovery at around 3-4 months. I have gone on disability and FMLA leave from work, but I am still able to WFH part time thankfully.

I am in Orange County, California.

TC

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 06:40:15 PM »
Hi TurboCoder3000

Click on the undermentioned thread - you will see that together with KneeGuru, we have a collection of documents which describes your injury in detail and give you an indicationof the rehab process.

Are you in a brace or a plastercast.  Normally six weeks after surgery, you discard the above and your ROM should be in the range of 30/40 ROM, next milestone 12/14 weeks 90ROM and then work hard to reach 120ROM.   
Ask your PT - have you seen this type of injury before " very rare" have your good leg measured - should be about 140 ROM - I finished at 12 months with 115 ROM and manage quite well ( but cannot run after blondes !

As mentioned before, switch over to Ruptured Patella Tendon /Surgery which is the correct thread for you to read.

Keep posting.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:35:21 AM »
I am in a brace. My surgeon doesn't want me to bend my knee until the necrotic skin area heals at least, so I am relegated to 100% straightness until then.

And I have posted in the other thread as well.

TC

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 10:14:12 AM »
By the way, if anyone cares, I published my entire story here on the personal section of my blog (don't worry I'm not spamming, I just thought I would get my story out there):

http://siteobjective.com/personal/the-road-not-walked-my-quadricep-tendon-surgery

Not too many people seem to be interested in wanting to read about quad tendon surgery.

Oh, well.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
Hi TurboCoder3000

Very interesting blog - lots of truth in it - PATIENCE

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »
Hi turbo
How are you now? How is your progress?
I torn my patella tendon in october? I am at 10 weeks..
Keep at it.. things should improve..
Everymorning and every step is a reminder of the injury.
Very stiff... as you can feel the scar tissue formation.
I am at about 100 degrees flexion now... and it feels stuck.
Good luck and work hard at it..

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 11:32:15 PM »
Hi TurboCoder3000

Very interesting blog - lots of truth in it - PATIENCE

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Hi John,

Thank you!!! For a blog I wrote that has been largely ignored, I appreciate the compliments. People in general don't seem to be very interested in the topic in general. 

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »
Hi turbo
How are you now? How is your progress?
I torn my patella tendon in october? I am at 10 weeks..
Keep at it.. things should improve..
Everymorning and every step is a reminder of the injury.
Very stiff... as you can feel the scar tissue formation.
I am at about 100 degrees flexion now... and it feels stuck.
Good luck and work hard at it..

Hi Chiropractor!!! Due to the necrotic skin complication, I am still healing from that. I went to wound care beginning on 11/22 and they removed the necrotic skin. It went from a gaping hole up to almost skin level in just three weeks. As soon as my necrotic skin area heals up I will be able to bend my knee.

I am still in a 100% horizontal brace until the necrotic skin area heals.

I have bent my knee a couple times under my surgeon's supervision -- he bent it while the necrotic area was still there -- and it doesn't feel stiff or painful at all. I was shocked!! I thought it would feel extremely stiff and painful as a result of constant 100% horizontal-ness over the past few months. Instead, it felt very normal. I was, however, lying on the doctor's table at the time. The one thing I did notice was that the "broken hinge" feeling of the back of my knee is completely gone and it feels like something is there when he bent it. I could not believe it. Of course please note that when I say walk I do mean walking with my crutches. Not quite crutch-free yet!

I am sure it will feel very different though when I start to bend it from a normal sitting position when I'm finally free of this nightmare. I am, however, able to walk with both legs pretty well and can put 100% weight on my right leg, even keeping my leg 100% straight. There is some progress. But it is definitely slow.

I am sorry to hear you tore your patella tendon!!! How did you do that? How painful was it? I'd like to hear your story.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:48:37 PM by TurboCoder3000 »

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
Hi turbo
I tore patella tendon during basketball.
I am sure years of activity from soccer to muy thai damaged it and basketball finished it..
Now my worry is to be stuck at 100 degrees flexion. I am in my 10 week and the pain is mostly on the inner part of my knee.
I am doing my stretches everyday however the knee is not giving up..
Not sure what to do any more... seeing the surgeon this next Friday and I will have alot of questions for him..
Thanks
I hope we all get better soon.

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »
Hi turbo
I am sure years of activity from soccer to muy thai damaged it and basketball finished it..
Now my worry is to be stuck at 100 degrees flexion. I am in my 10 week and the pain is mostly on the inner part of my knee.
Not sure what to do any more... seeing the surgeon this next Friday and I will have alot of questions for him..
Thanks

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 01:23:42 AM »
Hi turbo
Thanks

Aaahhhhhh geeeeeze - well at least you can say you tore yours during basketball. I gotta say I tore mine during bowling. Funny how that works sometimes huh? LOL

Oh well...well here's hoping you get better fast!!! How are things going for you since your last surgeon's appointment?

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 01:30:47 AM »
Well, ladies and gents -- not much going on but wound care visit after wound care visit since my last post. I am doing my best to walk with two feet on crutches like my doctor wants me to but I have had my calluses peeled off my right foot - my calluses had started peeling on their own and were all ready to come off. That's to be expected due to not having a shower for four months. January 21st will be my 4 month anniversary of this thing.

My wound is coming along nicely and we think that by the end of next week (give or take an appointment or two), it will be fully completely healed and I can finally start bending my knee. With how well it has healed over so far, my surgeon wants me to get going on physical therapy ASAP. He and the plastic surgeon who consulted with us don't seem to think that bending my knee will do anything to this wound right now, so it's imperative that I get started immediately. Thankfully, I don't need to do the plastic surgery. I'll probably have a scar but that's no big deal. It's not like I'm a knee model or anything ;)

https://www.screencast.com/t/3W3ZDiG2nSwJ

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 03:31:53 AM »
Hi turbo
Happy to hear that finally you are going to start rehab.
I am doing okay... working on ROM and strengthening now.
I am not sure if my heel would ever get to my behind ( so no heel seating) however things could be always worse... I have seen people have recovered from this injury very well... Time and patience I guess... my ortho has discharged me and said good luck...
My aim is to focus on recovery .. I have small kids and I need my knee for them more than for myself.
I am about 15 weeks post op and leg still feel stiff all the time. As if I am walking with a chain wrapped around my knee. ( I heard it would go away by 6-8 months). Going up and down stairs is still hard however I try to do it at least 10 times a day. ( part of my rehab)
I am on the stationary bike almost everyday 30.min and then 10 min rowing. Leg press.. some squatting.. and hack machine ( for lower quads which is not firing too well). I still have pain with leg raises.. specially in the inside of the knee..
Well... I am pushing it and see what results I get.
Now my other knee has started to hurt...
Well it is  a stupid injury however I guess we learn to live with it and move on...

support