Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Possible re-tear of ACL (?)  (Read 2190 times)

Offline EttEllerTre

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible re-tear of ACL (?)
« on: September 24, 2016, 01:14:11 AM »
Hello, so basically four weeks ago I twisted my same knee that underwent an ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft) 10 months ago. I felt a pop on the outside of the knee and instantly felt pain and went down to the ground, it wasn't as painful as when I tore my ACL. I limped 2-3 days and felt similar unstability in the knee. I visited the doctor and got sent to the MRI because I had hemarthrosis (blood in kneejoint) which is an indicator of damage in the knee, however the MRI didn't show pretty much any damage to the knee. Due to my history of a torn ACL, the MRI couldn't for sure check if my ACL graft is intact and they told me that 'it looks to be alrigt'. Now four weeks later since I twisted my knee I still feel it's a bit unstable but there's not alot of pain. My questions: 1, has anyone here had a retear of an acl and how was it similar/different to youre first acl tear? 2, correct me if I'm wrong but there shouldn't be any blood in my knee if there isn't any real damage to my knee? And yes I do have an appointment with my (experienced) orthopedic surgeon who fixed my knee last time. Thanks in advance!  :)

Offline BarefootPilgrim

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: Possible re-tear of ACL (?)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
Have you had your appointment yet?

My second ACL tear was way more painful than the first one, possibly because it happened because of a tackle from someone else as opposed to getting my foot stuck in the turf the first time around...

Offline jellybaby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Possible re-tear of ACL (?)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
What was the outcome of this?

I managed to stretch a graft (doing nothing) and i have just found out my second graft is damaged so i need a 3rd reconstruction. My MRI came back clear, shows my ACL is intact but my surgeon has assessed it and has confirmed is is definitely loose again and even though its intact on the scan it is not functioning and may have tears that havent come up. Similar to you it did show swelling/blood in my knee joint but not what had caused it.  I can now narrow it down to me twisting it after a ball being kicked and me catching it with my toe rather than the instep of my foot meaning my foot got taken to the left (its my right knee) and my knee twisted. I cant remember feeling a pop but the pain was quite explosive, my leg went numb and i couldnt stand on it for a few minutes....however this then went away and i actually played football 2 days later. After explaining to him what happened hes confirmed this is likely what has caused it. So not sure whether its re-torn or stretched but either way it needs re-doing. If you havent got to the bottom of it yet all id says is yes its possible youve re-torn/damaged your graft and you'll know yourself if its not right despite what a scan might say. I knew mine wasnt right as it feels totally unstable again but had i seen a different doctor it may have been fobbed off as the scan looks ok
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:52:08 PM by jellybaby »

support