Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee pain with no cause  (Read 955 times)

Offline stuyoung

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
knee pain with no cause
« on: February 24, 2004, 06:50:37 AM »
hi,
I have had an odd series of pains in my knee,
first it felt like I had a slight hamstring tendon strain (about 10 days ago) this was despite doing next to no exercise, this got progressively worse and I woke up on morning (about 5 days ago) with it feeling like I had hyper extended my knee (sore under patella) this pain in the back of my knee seemed to shift down into my calf and now my calf is quite sore and swollen, I reiterate, I have done no exercise of consequence that I feel could have cause this discomfort. (about a week earlier I had been wearing some unusually flat soled shoes. but I felt no pain until a week or so after wearing them)
The only thing that had any correlation was my doc putting me on some anti inflammatories  (bextra) for some thoracic back pain.

I am a reletivly fit 26 year old male (getting rapidly unfitter as I cant run)

Any thoughts,

thanks in advance

Stuart

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: knee pain with no cause
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 07:03:27 PM »
Hi Stuart,

Sorry to hear about your knee pains.  There's no way anyone here can diagnose your knee,  but there are some things to consider.

You well may have strained your hamstring muscles (it's amazing how we can do things without ever knowing how, when, or why). Subsequent movements on your part may have either irritated, or re-directed your knee movements to "protect" the hamstring.  The calf pain can often be extra fluid that drains from the knee (I have the same thing....my knee doesn't really swell up, but my calf muscle takes all the extra "juice")
Other than getting an expert opinion on this, I'd say, rest, ice, and elevate. Be very aware of your knee and plant it correctly as you move for awhile (no twisting, etc) Make some notes somewhere as to what you are feeling, it's a good thing to have a "history".
Also, my opinion........ I've noticed with myself that anti-inflammatories can sometimes work against me....for instance, inflammation out of control is no good, but inflammation is also a sign the body is trying to protect an area. So if you have a sore muscle and there's a bit of inflammation, now you take anti-inflammatories and you take away that protective inflammation, you feel maybe more pain.  THIS IS TOTALLY MY OPINION and not based on any actual facts!!!  

No matter, be kind to your knee and if it doesn't resolve itself in a satisfactory manner, see a doctor....

Aggie

Offline stuyoung

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: knee pain with no cause
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »
thanks aggie,
that was sound, reasonable advice that I found quite comforting,
I was primarily worried about the fluid and soreness in my calf, as I have never had that before. I'm glad someone else has heard of it!
Probably almost time to go back to the doctor now,
thanks again

stuart

support