Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Best bike for rehab?  (Read 2307 times)

Offline DancingDreams

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Best bike for rehab?
« on: October 06, 2016, 01:44:24 AM »
Hello,

After a history of chronic patellar instability associated with a flat groove in my LK and a shallow groove in my RK, I fully dislocated my left kneecap for the first time on August 17th. I'm diligently doing physio while waiting to meet with a surgeon, and yesterday I was allowed on a stationary bike for the first time since my injury. The seat was kept high and I wasn't on the bike for long, but it was a great change of pace from boring quad sets and the like. (I also do some squats now, but I'm still walking peg-legged and not allowed to try stairs yet.)

I would like to continue using a bike at home, but I'm not sure what would be the best thing to buy/rent. Before my injury, my husband and I were debating getting a bike trainer. We live in a very snowy city, and I liked the idea of being able to use my regular bike inside during the winter.

Has anyone else gotten themselves a bike for use during rehab? Would a bike trainer work or should I look at a more traditional stationary or recumbent exercise bike? My physiotherapist didn't really have any specific suggestions, although he did agree that using a bike would be a good idea at this stage.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Offline rslackde

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Best bike for rehab?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »
I ruptured my quad tendon in January.  I recently started using an exercise bike at the rehab facility.  I also have a bicycle trainer which I set up with one of my bikes.  I find that bicycle trainer works better than the exercise bike.  Since the trainer uses my personal bike the seat height is "perfect".  As with any bike the seat is almost infinitely adjustable.  The rehab exercise bikes has predetermined stops for adjustment so the fit isn't nearly as good. 

I fully support the trainer.  If you can find an exercise bike with a variable seat height adjustment it would probably work just as well. 

I would also add that using my bike and trainer didn't cost me anything.