Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hurt my knee - Bone Bruise  (Read 11655 times)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: I think I hurt my knee
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
What did the OS say?

Can you speak to your primary care doctor or a pharmacist about pain relief. Why not try Tylenol (paracetamol for example) or something with codeine if pain is worse which may also help you sleep.  But get a professionals advice on medication

I limped on my torn meniscus (and cartilage defect) for 5 months

Do you suffer from anxiety typically? You seem pretty worried and stressed about what sounds a fairly minor injury? If so, perhaps seek some help for that as well?

Go talk to your doctor (what country are you in?)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 06:40:02 PM »
He didn't say much just that we need an MRI to see if it is a torn meniscus or bone bruise etc.
I guess the spondylolisthesis and the way this injury developed, like from not so bad to progressively worse has me a little anxious thinking i might have to deal with a back and knee issue and not sure what's causing what. Yes i do tend towards anxiety. I'll take your advice about doctor/anxiety (I'm in USA).

I'll try a little tylenol. I'll try and walk on it as much as I can and hope it improves and see what doc says next week. Thanks.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 06:52:18 PM »
Good luck for the scan :)
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 10:22:12 PM »
Thanks Vickster.

Okay I had the MRI scan (I had a open sitting MRI) last week and reviewed it with the OS today.  He said that I have a pretty good bone bruise on the medial femoral condyle - but no meniscus tear - ligaments looks good - MCL is fine.

He's giving me a brace (very expensive) - an unloader brace -  to wear for 2 months when I'm going to be particularly active and 2 months of physical therapy. He thinks it will likely take a while to heal esp given location. He doesn't think I need scope or surgery. I'm also going to check in with back doc as all the limping has my back not feeling best and I'm hoping a little PT or exercise for that will be good.

The knee is doing a little better. I can bear weight on it now and I'm limping much less and I actually walked like 10 blocks today outside after the doctors appt (no cane), though I did take a little ibuprofen before.  I'm definitely going to start taking walks daily and get out of the house now.

So looking a little better.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:22:42 AM by tensters »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
Sounds positive.  Hope the brace helps, try not to become over reliant on it (not something I have ever had to use)

Are you seeing a physio too?

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
Hi Vickster - thanks!

I'm going to start the PT when I get the brace next week.
I'm definitely not going to rely on it and just will use it with PT as asked and maybe occasionally during the two months.

I actually don't like the idea of the brace at all - taking stress off the MFC and putting it elsewhere and changing how quad acts...  I'm going to use it as infrequently as possible esp since I can put weight on it and it is not really that painful now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:45:54 PM by tensters »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
I had a big old bone bruise on my lateral femoral condyle along with a meniscus tear and WB cartilage defect, no discussion of any sort of brace.  I think doctors and physios here in the UK want you weight bearing as much as tolerated, no crutches given to me either (reserved for broken legs and post op as needed it seems)!

I'd talk to the physio about the brace

The cynic in me wonders if HCPs over there get financial incentives for handing out equipment...

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
Yeah I was wondering about that too. This is a "cheap" non-custom brace and it costs over $1,000. I don't think I need it personally. The doctor who seems really nice and has a great rep thought my bruise was pretty significant (he says it really lit up the MRI) and is where I bare a lot of weight and thinks it will help. My insurance likely will cover most if not all of it but I have been thinking about saying I can't afford the copay or something and asking them to cancel it and I'll just do therapy sans brace.

Maybe I'll do that. Definitely don't like the idea of the brace transferring extra load else where.

I think I've already gotten over the worst of the bruise walking around the apartment for past month and half and now just have to strengthen everything up, make sure back okay etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:04:21 PM by tensters »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2016, 01:08:48 PM »
$1000  :o

Maybe just use the brace if having to stand for long periods at work say

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
Yeah that is what they said... when overly stressing it... if taking like a 2 mile walk etc.
Maybe I'll just get it since its paid for anyway and I'll use it sparingly like in these situations.
Only meant to be used during at all the two months and then put aside.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:22:08 PM by tensters »

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
Btw, by coincidence a family member also injured his knee in the last couple of months - tore the meniscus and complete tear of ACL. He is going to try rehabbing it on his own.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »
And I've done something to mine last night...i fear for my meniscus :(

If active, I'm not sure living long term with a ruptured ACL is a good option if even a little active (depending on age) for the integrity of the joint cartilage and structures
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:42:10 PM by Vickster »

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »
Oh I'm sorry to hear that Vickster - I hope it is alright. Were you doing sports or something?
Meniscus injuries seem to have a lot of hope as long as there is no mechanical locking.
Hope it's okay.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:43:58 PM by tensters »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »
No! I'd just got out of the bath (after a sports massage), somehow planted my foot and twisted my knee. Loud crack, lots of pain, now can't bend or straighten comfortably :(

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
Damn. I hope it is not serious. Maybe you'll regain ext/flex and it will be better. I'm currently terrified of pivoting/planting twisting. Yeah -  about the ACL. And esp if you are active. I hope that however it plays out if goes well for him. Hope that you are okay too!