Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS knee photo  (Read 959 times)

Offline bradyj7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
OATS knee photo
« on: August 23, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »
Some photos of my OATS surgery before during and 2 years post surgery. Doing pretty well, doing everything except running.

Offline icarus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: OATS knee photo
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:18:19 AM »
Wow, looks like it filled in quite nicely. How big are those plugs? When are you expected to be able to run again?

Offline bradyj7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 11:06:16 AM »
Yeah im happy with the op. Not sure how big the plus are exactly, think they are 10mm. I was told not to run again which is fine. They are my own plugs not a donor.

Offline IMF73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
Hi...Looing good.
With regards to running...dd you used to run & what kind of distances? When you say no running are you talking abut completely no running - not ven running across a road or top catch a bus etc or are you talking about no running in terms of distance and sports?

Offline bradyj7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »
Hi,

Yes, I used to play a lot of sports that involved running thats how I go this in the first place. I can run across the road now no problem. But I'm 28 and I was advised that running on the repair would be risky. I've a long way to go on this knee and I just don't need the hassle, spent too long going through operations and rehab. I'm totally pain free and I value long term mobility over running. 

Offline IMF73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
Interesting thanks. I too have had cartilage repair and was advised not to run for the time being. I've even avoided running across a road or with the kids.
I hope to be able to run properly again at some point but like you am taking it easy. I am around 11 months post surgery at the moment.
I too used to run a lot, I hope to get back to running but will see how the knee is

Offline bradyj7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 10:51:09 PM »
Sorry there was a typo there - meant to say that I'm NOT totally pain free, you never would be after getting 2 cores of bone and cartilage drilled out. But I'm much better and it just aches a little after doing a lot on it. no need for pain med or anything though. you should get a follow up mri also to see how well the grafts are doing. rehab rehab rehab

Offline IMF73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 07:25:41 AM »
Ok. Hope the pain eases and improves for you. Yes I have an MRI in a month or so. My surgery was a bit different to yours. Are you back to any sports?
I'm cycling now and would like to run but the knee may have other plans

Offline bradyj7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
At nearly 4 years (decemeber) it is as good as it will get for me but I happy and thankful for it. No I'm not playing any running sports. This was very hard to accept, you always want t o'get back' but I'm over it now. Cycle, row, hike, surf and lift weights (not very heavy) without much issues.

Offline icarus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »
At nearly 4 years (decemeber) it is as good as it will get for me but I happy and thankful for it. No I'm not playing any running sports. This was very hard to accept, you always want t o'get back' but I'm over it now. Cycle, row, hike, surf and lift weights (not very heavy) without much issues.

I have the same mentality and I'm 25. How is the hiking? What kinds of limitations do you put on yourself like elevation gain, distance etc.

Offline bradyj7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
Hiking is fine, not climbing Everest or scaling cliffs but all other terrain/duration is ok

support