Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Stem cell or PRP treatment in addition to osteochondral allograft  (Read 2885 times)

Offline BJanson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
I just got notice that a donor cartilage is available for my osteochondral allograft (knee articular cartilage tear).  The office asked if I wanted PRP or stem cell treatment along with the surgery - something we didn't discuss previously.  Still waiting on consultation with doctor or assistant, but has anyone done both the allograft and one of these treatments?  PRP is $300 and stem cell is $1600.  Just wondering what needs to be considered.

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Stem cell or PRP treatment in addition to osteochondral allograft
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »
If you're in US, these are very competitive prices for each of the procedure. I'd recommend BMAC with fibrin glue, and not necessarily PRP.
I think right after the surgery you'd have enough growth factors from the blood and bone marrow naturally occurring in the knee due to invading procedure.

I myself recently did BMAC injection during an arthroscopic surgery. The stem cells can be placed exactly to the defect, plus use of fibrin glue is possible, and studies show that this way stem cells are more effective.

Offline Barmski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 10:40:28 PM »
I just had this done with my OATS at the Steadman Clinic. BMAC coated graft, then placed to fit, then half stiched up , and rest of BMAC injected. Seems to be working as my pain and inflammation is low and I am off all pain meds except aspirin and im 2 weeks post op! Thought I would share!

Offline mkorsaka

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
Hello,

Last Friday, 1/13/17 I underwent Osteochondral Allograft Transplant (medial femoral) & Meniscal Allograft Transplant (medial) with the use of BMAC (Stem Cells).  Just like you, stem cells were not discussed initially.  When I received a call that both donor grafts were in a week before my surgery, the use of stem cells to aid the procedure was brought to my attention via phone call from my surgeon. 

I was told the use of BMAC with this procedure helps with post-op pain, inflammation, and expedite the healing process of the grafts and based on what i've found and been told about stem cells, it'll be worth it.

I have been in a great amount of pain since the surgery, much more than my previous 5 knee surgeries including ACL reconstruction.

Offline sandman5309

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
Hey mkorsaka,

How goes the recovery?  Besides the ACL reconstruction, what other procedures have you received?  I have been watching the forum for a while and am looking to see how the different procedures turn out as I know each procedure works different per patient.  Did you receive a specific brand of allograft (ie Cartiform)?  Thanks and wishing you a successful recovery! :)
08/16- fell backpacking, didn't realize L patella had subluxed
09/16- MRI revealed full thickness chondral fissure of the central median ridge patellar cartilage
12/16- steroid injection
01/17- perineural, prolo and PRP injection trial

Offline CureAVNgenie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
I am considering an allograft plus cells and would love to know who your surgeon was....

Offline Barmski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 02:46:20 AM »
My surgeon was Dr. LaPrade, I am already up 25 air squats in 4 sets daily and walking with no pain. I had BMAC injected, I do about 2 hours of leg workouts with KAATSU training and i expect to one legged squat soon. I felt like it was an easy recovery and Steadman Clinic sees nothing but 100 % in their eyes and so do I, im gonna come back stronger than ever.

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 01:46:54 PM »
Barmski,
that's great news, a really impressive recovery.

Do you mind my asking how old are you?

Also what part of the knee was the allograft used for? What size?

What was you non-WB protocol?

Stories like yours, give us all a lot of hope.

Thank you.

Offline Barmski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:02:14 AM »

Medial Condyle, from trauma, touches weight at 0-15 degrees on the far edge of the femur medial, i never feel it, 22mm by 22mm

8weeks NWB, 4 weeks at 25 % per week, at 5th week started walking with no limp when i thought about it

Just started squats today with weight, two 8 pound weights, one in each hand. Normal day to day function

Is that good? I have nothing to compare it too, trying to KAATSU blood flow restriction. Still some swelling but overall its okay.

Offline Barmski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 12:00:54 AM »
Hey Razuzin, if your on instagram feel free to see my recovery under the name "Barmski"