Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cortisone shot 3 years after patella fracture  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Mgmeola

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cortisone shot 3 years after patella fracture
« on: August 14, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »
Hi all
This is my first time posting.   3 years ago I fractured my patella and had it surgically repaired.  The rehab was long and painful but I was able to get to a point where I could do most things pain free.   I never got back to 100% but was ok with where I was and always thought any discomfort was from the hardware.
About 3 weeks ago, my knee started to really bother me and I knew something was wrong.   It was swollen and wobbly and I started using a cane again :(. I went for an X-ray and CT scan and then to see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in knees (moved to a new town about a year ago).   I was in a panic and thought for sure I would need more surgery.   To my relief, I was told that the pain I was experiencing is from post traumatic arthritis.  The doctor gave me a cortisone shot and said to wait a full two weeks and that I should be fine.  It's been a week and a half since the shot and I feel a little better but not great.   The swelling has gone down but I still have pain when I walk.   I called and asked if I could start PT because I want to stregthen this weak leg and was told to wait because it may counteract what the cortisone is doing.  I'm worried that I won't get better - I was fine just a few weeks ago!   I have a follow up appointment scheduled in 2 weeks.   I was just wondering if anyone had advice - he may suggest the gel shots next, but from what I've read most people don't get relief from that either.
I am 38 and not a candidate for TKR yet, but I know I will need one in the future.   I can't live in this state indefinitely and feel like there isn't much else that can be done.
Any advice is welcome.