Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson without lateral release?  (Read 387 times)

Offline otherkneeprobs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Fulkerson without lateral release?
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
Dr recommended fulkerson sx today and everything i keep reading on it, it is usually done along with a lateral release, but i've already had that done? My patella keeps subluxing medially, along with other issues. Just wondering if anyone has ever had the procedure done without the LR

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: Fulkerson without lateral release?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 04:21:10 AM »
The procedure I had on both knees was very similar to a fulkerson and I never had a lateral release with either one.  Typically a fulkerson will move the tibial tubercle medially. So if you are dislocating medically you need to ask if your surgeon is going to repair the lateral release.  Did you start dislocating medially before or after the lateral release was done?
2011 left knee arthroscopy with plica removal
2012 left knee TTT
2015 right knee arthroscopy with patella chondroplasty
2016 right knee arthroscopy and TTT

Offline otherkneeprobs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:38:23 AM »
After lateral release. I talked to him more and I think I understand he will be repairing the LR, and maybe doing something with the vmo? He seems like he'll just see what all needs to be done when he gets in there.

Also are mpfl reconstructions typically done for people who dislocate/subluxation laterally? I think I've just over-researched, if that's possible haha.

I'm just ready to get this done. This will be my 5th and I'm so hoping last surgery. I'm ready to be pain free or at LEAST see a significant reduction in pain.

Does anyone with constant knee pain also experience regular thigh pain? I feel like whenever my knee is hurting so is my thigh. Don't know if that's bone on bone pain (very bad wear behind patella) or just weakness and aching?

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 04:53:37 AM »
That's good he will be repairing the LR. MPFL are done for lateral dislocations.  The ligament can be stretched or torn, especially with multiple dislocations.  I was pretty fortunate and never dislocated but subluxed laterally a lot, just never went far enough over to tear anything.  I used to get some thigh pain usually if I just did too much so I'm convinced it was just from muscle weakness/fatigue.  It's been 5 months and my knee is significantly better than before the surgery.  i really hope you can get some relief, being in constant pain is no fun at all!!  Research is good!  When I had my first surgery I researched everything I could, that's how I came across this board, lol. Make sure to check out the patello-femoral joint section.  Lots of good info there and knowledgeable people :)
2011 left knee arthroscopy with plica removal
2012 left knee TTT
2015 right knee arthroscopy with patella chondroplasty
2016 right knee arthroscopy and TTT

support