Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nondisplaced patella fracture during squat  (Read 1153 times)

Offline oceanus99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Nondisplaced patella fracture during squat
« on: July 24, 2016, 04:18:28 AM »
Apparently I had a stress fracture for a few weeks and continued to squat through it thinking it was some quad tendon pain. However, I changed my squat form on one day because it felt good on my knee (eliminated all pain) by pushing my knees more forward, and on one rep my knee popped loudly and locked straight. MRI/X-rays show a nondisplaced fracture on the top of my patella. Basically the quad tendon pulled so hard it broke the kneecap.
Pictures:

The doctor said just let it heal on its own since it isn't displaced much, and if the ROM doesn't improve over the next couple of weeks, to come back and see him.

The weird thing is I don't really have pain. I had the pain the first 2 days then it went away. It has been 12 days. However, my range of motion is limited. Something prevents my knee from bending beyond a certain angle. I was at about 10 degrees ROM the first couple days and am at about 35-40 degrees now.

Will I ever be able to squat heavy below parallel (preferably asstograss) again? Or is my patella always going to be weak at the spot it is fractured putting me at risk for refracture? Also any idea how long it will be till I can squat heavy again?

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
Re: Nondisplaced patella fracture during squat
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:04:47 PM »
I think you'll just have to wait and see. Given it is non-displaced you should have an easier recovery and maybe you'll be fine. The key will be *very* gradual return to activity. Most people try to progress too fast with weights and end up injuring themselves repeatedly (even with good form connective tissue takes longer than muscles to gain strength).

In theory a bone should not be weaker after repair. Personally I'd try to figure out why I got the stress fracture in the first place. Maybe bone density is not great (a Dexa scan will show this. as a bonus you can get a fat % done at the same time :) ). Or your training is too stressful maybe overtraining: how many sets,reps, per workout and how many workouts per week?.
If you're doing "heavy squats" I guess you have your nutrition sorted, adequate protein,minerals etc but maybe there is some imbalance making the bone weaker?.
You could also consider a program modification using higher reps and more  variations, front squats, leg press etc. Not so alpha-male to lift lighter, but being out of action for months is no fun either.
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion