Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Grinding and pain after trochleoplasty  (Read 701 times)

Offline hw2109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grinding and pain after trochleoplasty
« on: January 03, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
Hi everyone  :)

I had a trochleoplasty and medial repair on my left knee 11 weeks ago. Recovery has been very slow but progress has been made.

After about 6 weeks I noticed when going from bending to straight, there was a 'grinding' feel' on the lateral side of the knee. Then as the physio exercises progressed, I started to get a burning pain in the same area during exercise and turned in to sharp pain during other exercises. The pain gets worse if I press on the knee.

The grinding didn't bother me at first but now it's very loud and it has never done this before even prior to surgery.

I contacted my consultant who said to stick to low resistance exercises and closed chain only. I am due a 3 month review in a few weeks so will get examined then but it's causing a lot of concern as I do not want to make problems worse.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Many thanks

Hailey

Offline hw2109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Grinding and pain after trochleoplasty
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »
9 months post surgery and the issue hasn't got any better :(
The os who did the surgery said it was 'retinacular structures' and didn't seem concerned.

I saw another os more local to me (the os who did the surgery is 4 and a half hours away) and he said my patella isn't tracking correctly due to a weak vmo but I'm not sure this is true.

I got in contact with the trochleoplasty surgeon again about the issue. He gave me a bit of advice about what excercises to do but that's it :(

It's only getting worse and I haven't built up any muscle after the initial atrophy because of it. Exercise is painful, single leg press is agony and cycling past number 1 resistance is also painful.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? It's got me really down to the point that I am regularly breaking down in tears

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 10:07:59 AM »
I'm about 10 months post trochleoplasty I still experience very painful locking and catching, I was told that building strength is key and a lot of problems will be resolved by that, lack of strength can unfortunately cause dysfunction which can cause pain.. vicious cycle. I had lots of very small closed chain exercises for a very long time, thankfully I had an AT that's always encouraging and positive and reassured me that even though I didn't feel like I was making much progress. My exercises now are weight bearing and flare it up, combined with arthritic chronic pain is pretty miserable but I am choosing to continue pushing through that and treating with heat and massage after.

It really really sucks. If you can, my advice would be to try and find the exercises in your program and do the ones that flare it up the least. Or do less of them but frequent times throughout the day. When I started I had to split my exercises, which was maybe 8 of them, into three different times of the day, doing one set of 10 or one set of 5. If it does flare it up (not to an untolerable amount) does ice or heat or elevation help settle it down in a timely fashion?

Is your rehab also focusing on the other supporting groups, core, glutes, calves, hamstrings, ankle in addition to quad and VMO?

I still bike on extremely low resistance, but it's something. I hope some day I will be able to "push" on the bike and not wind up in agony :/ I too feel like crying randomly, you are not alone, I think that is a side affect of chronic pain/lack of a functional life. To us another 6 months of strengthening is a lifetime but I have learned that I would rather keep trying at that then go under the knife again.

Hope this helps some!

Offline hw2109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »
Hello :)

Thank you so much for your reply. It has lifted me up after another disastrous gym sesh :(

Yes my exercises are to target quads, hamstrings and glutes.
I have worked tirelessly since the op and it really gets to you when you're not where you feel you should be and nothing seems to help :( I feel like I'm at breaking point and so close to just giving up.

Will keep plodding along and hope that eventually one day I might get some strength back!

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:32:03 PM »
Do you see a physio or athletic therapist? They might be able to do 'micro-manipulations' (gentle) of your kneecap to help get it moving a bit better. Did anyone mention to you to friction your scar as well? The scar tissue there can really gum up the knee and restrict movement of the kneecap.

Also, if you aren't, make sure to add/do exercises for the VMO, calves, and core in addition to your quads, hams and glutes.

Listen to your body and keep at it :)