Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Grade 3 ACL Tear - Repair or Rehab  (Read 514 times)

Offline hypractv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grade 3 ACL Tear - Repair or Rehab
« on: July 20, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
Hello.  I came across this site while doing research about ACL injuries.  I am at a huge crossroads and need to make a decision about whether or not to have ACL surgery.

I race bicycles at an elite level, most of my year consists of training, riding and racing on the road while and during the fall I race cyclocross.  I average between 10k and 12k miles per year.  I recently crashed a motorized dirt bike resulting in a grade 3 ACL tear and MCL sprain.  The rest of my knee is intact.  I am still able to pedal my bike with although I have throttled down the intensity quite a bit to allow the MCL to heal.

My question is should I go ahead and have the ACL repaired?  I understand that I can rehab myself back to some level and possibly be stable without my ACL, however, there will always be that possibility that I could cause further damage if it goes unfixed.

I don't play any cutting sports competitively, however, having a type A competitive personality even the back yard basketball game turn into game 7 at the NBA finals.

That said, is there any semblance of normalcy with out the ACL repair and just rehab or is surgery the way to go to get back to 100% without the doubt of future damage lingering in my mind.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Piquet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Grade 3 ACL Tear - Repair or Rehab
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »
I'm functioning without an ACL at the moment, ski accident in February,  op scheduled for October after cycling Mt Ventoux in Sept as part of a 6 day tour. I've been through some pretty gruelling rehab with physio and personal trainer, and am now able to function pretty normally on and off the bike.

Why am I going ahead with the op? At the end of April I stepped into the house from the garden and the mat slipped away from me under my good leg, instantly 500 volts through my damaged left knee and I hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. Result 10/10 pain when trying to walk over the next 48 hours and a medial ligament strain that put me back a month. I've had other instances of it almost giving way but just caching it in time. I'd rather the pain of op and rehab than a lifetime of being careful over every step.

Obviously it will depend on your particular knee but the red flag I read I  your post is cyclocross. Running up muddy slopes and over obstacles with a bike over my shoulder would seem to me to be asking for trouble!

Good luck and consult some who knows about such stuff, some folk do function without, if you are lucky.....

support