Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn meniscus - worth having surgery soon?  (Read 822 times)

Offline swimmer4110

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn meniscus - worth having surgery soon?
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:41:17 AM »
I tore my meniscus 10 months ago. At the time, my knee locked and I was in horrible pain.  However, at the time, I also had just found out I was pregnant and for various reasons, I decided to hold off with surgery while pregnant and suffer through. Eventually, over the following few months, my knee unlocked and got almost full range of motion, pain subsided, and  could walk without a limp.

Fast forward 10 months (baby is here!) as long as I'm not too active, I feel pretty good and would say my knee is like 85%...it's a little annoying feeling (ie. some stiffness) but not painful.   If I'm active, it definitely gets more uncomfortable (but still not actually painful), and I can't push myself too much (or have been fearful of trying).  Recent MRI does show tear and displaced meniscus.

Just wondering since I'm doing pretty well and knee is no longer locked (would say i have about 90 or 95% complete range of motion), would still go ahead with surgery?  Or is surgery more necessary when trying to unlock a  locked knee?

Offline BarefootPilgrim

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: Torn meniscus - worth having surgery soon?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »

I think an untreated torn meniscus increases the likelihood of arthritis quite a bit, so if you want to go some way towards reducing that risk I'd say surgery was a good idea... plus I imagine the stiffness and instability might get annoying further down the line. But it depends on your current situation, fitness and the activities that you would like to be doing.

Have you seen a doctor and asked them what they recommend?

Offline swimmer4110

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 03:41:54 PM »
Thanks. I have seen the dr - both when I did this and just recently.  I think i'm leaning towards having surgery becuase I can't seem to get back to activities (like running) without a lot of discomfort. But as long as I don't do much exercise, i feel quite good.   I'm also torn on timing of surgery - trying to decide whether to have surgery now before a big family vacation (end of september) that will have a lot of walking for the week....or wait until after vacation. i'm torn between the two options and not sure which gives me the best chance of having hte most enjoyable vacation. The dr thinks if I do it now, by end of september, I will be feel at least the same as if I don't do surgery and most likely better...so won't be any worse off and can only be better of by then.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 400
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
Menisectomy also increases the likelihood of arthritis, especially if you then do impact sport like running. Better if the meniscus can be stitched up but if it's been a while, it's possible it'll now be too ragged, especially if chewed up a bit by being stuck in the joint

If it is repaired rather than trimmed, you'll have an extended period on crutches to allow it to heal which would certainly jeopardise your holiday

Problem is that the surgeon won't know if it can be successfully stitched until he gets in there and sees the state, location, size of the year and also the state of the meniscus tissue (healthy vs degenerate, usually down to age)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:16:54 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:31:39 PM »

swimmer,

It's worth holding off on surgery as long as you can.   The torn /frayed part of the meniscus still provides mechanical to the joint and supports the articular cartilage.    Take a look at a high quality PRP injection perhaps (only about 5 days recovery time).   I recommend Emcyte PurePRP II.   Also, look at BMAC that is directly injected into the tear itself, it may heal the tear actually.
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline swimmer4110

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:13 AM »
Vickster - yes, I reviewed the repair vs removal, but the dr felt it was 99% change of removal given I'm 40 and the fact i've been walking on it for over 10 months. I already have had ACL surgery on this knee 20 years so I think unfortunately i'm already proned to early arthritis

How long would say recovery really is from removal before you feel almost back to normal? I keep hearing 4-6 weeks...then i read some things on the internet that are more like 5-6 months (yes, for removal...not a repair)

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:40:37 AM »
Everyone is different. I've had three arthroscopies now (at 37, 38, 42) I'd say I probably needed 3 or 4 months to feel back at pre op? The first was to trim a trapped meniscus, the knee unlocked quickly, but I was still using crutches on and off in weeks 4 & 5. I had continued issues and was scoped again 10 months later, but that was to review the cartilage defect caused in the same trauma as the meniscus tear rather than as a result of the prior surgery
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline swimmer4110

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:11:14 PM »
Thanks vickster. this is my fear of still not feeling "good" 6+ weeks out and in time for my trip. The dr and PT both swear I will be fine by my vacation time, but I'm just not totally sold. I do read a lot of stories where people are feeling great and out and running in like 2 weeks...and others that its 3-4 months.  Maybe i'm better off postponing given i'm doing pretty well now at 85% or so...even though my fear remains I haven't walked that much on this injury.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »
How about getting some prehab exercises from your Physio? And also discussing whether there is some sort of support or brace to use to help walking

While my meniscus was torn, I had a couple of holidays, one with lots of walking and found a high quality neoprene sleeve of help

Also make sure you have some ice packs to use at the end of the day and perhaps take an NSAID while away too
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

support