Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My HTO and Micro fracture surgery diary (a little late!)  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Spitiemk4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • 2 scopes, 3 steroid injections, HTO + microfract
My HTO and Micro fracture surgery diary (a little late!)
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:35:37 AM »
28th May 2016 - 05:30

My Wife: Are you sure about this?

Me: Sure about this! Sure about this! Today is the 2nd anniversary of the accident, I have been in crippling pain for two years! I have never been more sure, and besides how could it get any worse?

And so it begins............

07:15 - sit down on hospital bed. Starting to feel the nerves, makes me feel a bit manic.

Before I know it I am in what looks like a dress, not a good look for me, though my wife finds it highly amusing.
Next thing my surgeon is there drawing all over my leg and explaining what will happen and making sure I am still up for it.

9:00 - I clump in to the anaesthetic prep room on my old faithful crutches, I got them last time I was here.
Up on the table the anaesthetist distracts me while needles go in, then a warning that I will feel a warmth in my left arm, before I can take that in and say oh yes so I can, it's lights out......

Offline Spitiemk4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: My HTO and Micro fracture surgery diary (a little late!)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:17:13 AM »
28th May 2016 - part 2
14:00: wakey wakey! Who am I ? Where am ? WHAT IS THAT PAIN IN MY LEG!!!!!

14:30: The world comes back in to focus (sort of). My wife tells me how worried she was, they didn't wheel me out of theatre for 4 hours, the surgeon had said a couple of hours max...

The rest of the day: The normal passage of time changes; sweating like I am under a sprinkler on a hot summers day. Bladder fit to burst, given a cardboard bottle, doesn't look up to the job and neither does my co-ordination. Luckily for the sheets nothing seems to work downstairs!

Next thing I am aware of the Doctor with the knife, saw and drill is before me telling me how difficult it had been, given the pain I am in something inside me gives a smug face, at least I didn't go down without a fight...perhaps he notices this, as he then asks the nurse to arrange for a catheter to be installed, so much for the smug face!

Things are on the up: catheter installed, what a relief! I have a remote in my hand, every time I push the button the world fades out....until someone is ?..oh I know putting a clip on my finger and inflating a cuff on my arm....quite often it seems.....people come and go....my wife comes and goes.....kids to collect from grandparents and feed.....and I would like to say the day faded out, but no, people seem very focused on my sudden low blood pressure and oxygen saturation, this necessitates it being checked often, not sure about how often because of that passage of time issue.......

Offline Spitiemk4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:00:22 AM »
29th May 2016

Passage of time still not sorted its self out yet!: Accidently pressed the nurse call, nurse turns up with a cardboard sick bowl, I say I'm fine and explain it was a false alarm, nurse barely out of the room and I have filled the bowl?! This time I press the nurse call for real!

Apparently the morphine does this...blinding pain so who cares...press the morphine remote and everything fades out again.

Breakfast in bed! Normally a treat, not today! Just an interruption to pressing my favourite morphine remote, apparently you can't OD, but I get the feeling somethings not right.....it could be that passage of time thing but it seems an awful long time between breaths and it doesn't seem to worry me....

Suddenly staff are fussing around, the remote is confiscated, my BP is lower than a snakes belly in a tyre track and I don't have enough oxygen to allow a match to be lit...ooerr! On go the oxygen tubes up my nostrils and I have cough a lot and take deep breaths and someone wants to check on my BP and oxygen every time I close my eyes.....

Morphine stopped... Not good, pain now unbearable, most definitely not good. Co-codamol does not cut the mustard when someone has cut your leg off and bolted back on, then drilled some holes in your knee, it really doesn't!!

They say if I am good, take in the oxygen and tell my BP to behave then I can have some oromorph, a bit slower acting as its not being injected in. (Make mine a double with ice and lemon please!)
It's like a carrot on stick for a donkey ee! Aw!

The day passes, I have visitors, it's good to see my family, but I am still too spaced out to appreciate them fully.

News, not really sure how good it is, it seems that my stats are heading in the right direction, as long as it looks good and the catheter comes out tomorrow and everything works then it's home for me tomorrow.

Oh and yes, before you go the physio will come and get you out of bed and let you walk up the stairs - WHAT?! It's agony just lying in bed, out of bed, stairs - are they mad? Perhaps now would be a good time to hold my breath, I wonder if I can hold it for about a fortnight?

Offline Spitiemk4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 06:13:14 AM »
30th May 2016

The big day......going home!

4:00: tea, biscuits and drugs, interesting combo. Nice to have a TV in the room, on it goes drifting in and out, best when out, then I don't focus on the overwhelming pain in my leg.

8:00ish: Breakfast in bed, toast and marmalade, very nice (I have been well fed over my stay, but have skipped over this)

Morning - things to do no.1 - dressing change.....sounds fairly painless, and it is. Out comes my iPad take a few wound snaps for the family album...all going well, then deadly words... I am going to have to take the wound drain tube out, it will hurt, a lot....and boy did it hurt!! And then it phantom hurt for another hour at least!!

No.2 get mobile: Just when I think things couldn't get worse the physio arrives, now just the thought of moving my leg gives me the screaming abdabs so actually swinging it out of bed, lowering it to the floor then getting in to a wheel chair and heading for the stairs makes me want to pass out, but I put on a brave face and go with the flow.

Now someone has more or less cut off my leg, bolted it back on and then drilled some holes in my knee, when I get home I am not leaving the sofa, it reclines so that will be my home for the next 6 weeks. I am absolutely, most definitely NOT going anywhere near the stairs. So I am not too sure on dragging my leg, that looks like some gruesome prop from a Jaws movie up to the 1st landing, but hey I suppose I had better humour them, or they won't let me out (and apparently the bill for another night is 500 and the insurer won't cover it so I would have to pay!) - the pain in my wallet would be more unbearable than the pain in my leg, funny how that focuses your mind!

Torture over, back in bed, TV on, sorted for drugs and waiting for my wife to arrive.

No.3 go home: Here she is, armed with a wheelchair, I demonstrate my new skill of getting out of bed and shuffling across to the wheelchair without sobbing like a lost toddler in a supermarket with the pain!

I Say my goodbyes and thank everyone for looking after me and we are off.

Now it's about 15 miles from the hospital to home, 15 long bumpy miles. It's a wonder I had any teeth left from gritting them so hard on the way home, jammed in to my wife's i10 roller skate, leg in a brace and swollen to what looks and feels like twice its normal size, I felt every bump, it was like having the op again but this time without any anaesthetic, never mind the sobbing in the supermarket, I could have gone with the full blown screaming tantrum on the supermarket floor!!!

Home - thank god! Out of the car, in to another wheel chair, up a step and to the house (that stair training did come in handy!). Despite my wife's best efforts, to my shame I did my best impression of Mr. Grumpy on acid, no excuses (well ...... Maybe one...... My leg blooming hurt..... A lot!!) ...worth a try.

Telly on, cup of tea, sandwich, drugs, then......stay awake all night in agony...a sign of things to come...wonderfull

Number ones in a (proper) bottle and luckily no hint of number two's (turned out for a week luckily!)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:14:56 AM by Spitiemk4 »

Offline Spitiemk4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:23:36 PM »
19th Jan 2017

Wow - forgotten all about this - good to read brings it back and makes me appreciate how far I have come.

No sticks - absolutely fantastic, all those aches and pains in my arms, neck and shoulders a memory now.

Walking - the more I do the better at it I am, sometimes I even walk fairly normally, still in pain, taking prescription painkillers. The difference is that before I took them just to keep sane when I had agony with every step. Now with tense muscles and a thoughtful, careful walk I am fairly well mobile.

My leg expands and shrinks (inflammation) when I do more than usual, I have lost loads of muscle strength and my back aches for England sometimes, but I am 52, some of my age get that anyway!

Front of my leg v. Numb, toes and outer pad of my foot numb - worse when leg swells, but does not cause a problem.

Werewolf leg! The operated leg has grown back fairly thick black hair, wasn't there before and isn't on my other leg .....mmmmm! Odd!

Joined a gym to start strengthening everything up and hopefully lose a lot of the weight I have put on since the car accident - 4 stone!! Have been in the pool initially now going to see the gym physio to come up with a plan.....

Sometimes I can't stop myself grinning when I think back to the pre op state I was in and how low I was, now full of enthusiasm, it feels like I am getting my life back, it's a long journey and I have a long way to go, I have a 10mm open wedge that has grown about 50% new solid bone and a knee joint repair that will take up to 2 years to heal, sometimes I will get a pain that makes my jump like I have been stuck with a cattle prod, I take 16 painkillers a day - I sometimes say that if I had woken up one day like this before my accident I would have been in a hospital bed, but having been in so much pain before this almost feels good!

Not the best thing that's ever happened to me, but it is the best thing that's happened since my accident.
It felt good to stand up in the hospital waiting room and walk over to my consultant and see the smile (grin) on his face (it was also on mine!)
There is something good about memory, you seem to forget the pain, you remember having it and remember it was bad, but you don't actually remember the pain.

I can't thank the surgeon enough!!!!