Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee shift 6 months ACL post op  (Read 1308 times)

Offline snatchhh13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee shift 6 months ACL post op
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:08:04 AM »
Quick background, last September I ruptured my ACL playing football and had the hamstring autograft reconstruction a little over 6 months ago. Rehab has been really good and apart from a DVT 2 weeks post op there's been no problems or complications.

Now my concern, last week when doing agility exercises (running round cones etc.) I felt a "shift" in my knee. Similar movement as to what used to happen before I had the op when my knee would buckle. There wasn't any pain this time and the knee didn't buckle but should I be worried by the movement? I was feeling really close to returning to sport and really want to.press on with the physio but I'm a bit scared to carry on with similar exercises at the moment. Does it mean the graft might have stretched or could it just be because the strength isn't fully back yet and the fact my knee didn't buckle just shows the new ACL is doing its job?

I have a follow up with my surgeon in 4 weeks so will raise it then but just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar and whether or not I'm just being over cautious/paranoid like I hope am.

Offline Piri00

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Knee shift 6 months ACL post op
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
Hi

That is how my knee feels 7 months post op ACL revision.
I can do lot of rehab exercises but sometimes it feels like it is going to give away but it won't.
When I relax my leg and bend it degrees I can push little bit my tibia forward.
Also when I stand and relax my muscles knee feels like it has little movement to the sides.

I still hope this is only because of muscle weakens

Offline snatchhh13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »
Saw my surgeon and he put my mind at ease. Said the graft felt really good so nothing to worry about. Bit more play in it than in my good knee but to be expected apparently!

Think the fact it's not giving way just goes to show the new ACL is working, hopefully the same applies for yours!

Offline Piri00

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
Thanks for your update.

Yes my knee is also not giving away as there is strong ACL but knee feels lax.
My physio is telling me that I need to build up my muscles.

I am only worried because when I had my first ACL reconstruction after 4 months my knee was strong and not lax.
This time it is different experience.

I can do lot of different exercises and ruining with no problem. When my muscles are active knee is strong and not lax but when I relax my muscles it feels very lax.  This is why I am worried to do any pivoting exercises.

I hope it will get better to get back to the sport activities.

Good luck