Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help me make a decision  (Read 542 times)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Help me make a decision
« on: July 06, 2016, 04:22:08 AM »
Brief history:

March 2011 - Left knee patella dislocation
3 months Physio but still felt unstable
July 2011 - MPFL
Straight back into Physio. By Nov 2011 pain behind patella
July 2012 - Scope to clean up tear on back of patella
Physio again
Feb 2013 - TTT & lateral release
Back to Physio
July 2015 - TTT redo.

Now I am having bad pain behind patella and the patella is subluxing medially.

Saw a new surgeon yesterday arvo. He has said patella is not just subluxing but is dislocating medially.

He wants to move the TTT back to original spot as he said he hasn't done that surgery in 30yrs. He also said the MPFL has disappeared so I would then need a second surgery to redo the MPFL.

He also said I won't make it back to operational policing now. He said that if I don't have it done it will continue to get worse and that it will be what he calls a really bad knee. But he can operate and give me what he calls a bad knee. He said if it were him he would have the surgery.

What would others do??

Offline taylob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
Re: Help me make a decision
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »
I would make the time to get secondary opinions. Seems like each OS has a different point of view, and each one has a bias in favor of one or another procedure. One OS told me that I needed a TTT, but four others said that would not be the right procedure.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. I also had my wife go along with me to help sort out the information because there is an element of art in this science.

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: Help me make a decision
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »
I second taylob's advice. Three years ago the first doctor I went to (a sports medicine surgeon) told me there was nothing that could be done for my knee and I needed to stop doing the sports I do. The next doctor I saw suggested surgery (ACI) which as of 19 months post op, has been really good for me. My pain level is greatly reduced and I'm pretty quickly getting back skills now that I'm not restricted. The pain was basically gone when I was still limited so the pain is primarily around the things I do which is fine. Finding a doctor that will listen to you and work with you matters a lot.

support