Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Out of surgery with Broyles  (Read 19831 times)

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Out of surgery with Broyles
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2016, 01:13:26 AM »
that was the radiologist's report, Dr. Broyles just called me with his take. He thinks that spots have thickened more, those that were 70% are further along. He doesn't think it's a loose body, the shape does not match his experience. He still thinks it is scar tissue that is bothering me.

He says almost this whole wedge is scar tissue, which developed from a shelf of plica

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2016, 10:52:31 PM »
Hi plaid,

Hope things turn around for you soon.   Does Dr Broyles recommend going in to cut out the scar tissue? 

Did he comment on the bone marrow edema?  Btw, that's one of the only mri findings that can be unequivocally related to "knee pain".    Did you have that finding prior to the subchondral drilling surgery?
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »
He has said cutting it out and cauterizing it may be necessary in a couple months. Right now he wants me to see if I can find a local ortho with an ultrasound willing to put a cortisone shot inside the lump of scar tissue. Only directly inside it, as he doesn't want it touching the cartilage. Just once to see if it will chill it out enough to shrink some.

He didn't mention he bone edema, it wasn't there pre-drill. It's possible the radiologist is mistaking the drill sites for that. They are still visible, but becoming less distinct on each subsequent mri.

The latest locking at extension was really bad last night. I was standing brushing my teeth, when I was done I couldn't bend the right knee. That much happens fairly often, and I just shift the weight to left foot and I can bend. Didn't work. Picked the right foot up, still no bend. Had to kind of dangle it a minute and then it finally and stubbornly decided to start moving again. A moment after that it was moving fine and no issue rest of the night.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »
Hi,
I'm certainly wondering if the locking is related to the scar tissue wedge overgrowth, getting trapped in between the joint surfaces?   What is your take?
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
it certainly felt like something was jammed in and I had to shake it loose. I sent the same description down to them this morning and he just called me and wants to go ahead and schedule cutting it out, and I am for it.

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
scheduled 1/30

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2017, 05:44:46 AM »
Recovering now. I will get to see pics Wednesday.

Doc said there even more scar tissue wedging in there than seen on MRI, so hopefully things start improving rapidly now.

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:56 PM »
Boy there was a ton of junk in there, and you could see the red raw spots from it rubbing. I forgot a USB drive unfortunately

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »
Crossing fingers for smooth sailing & thanks for updating.

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
5-6 minutes walking a handful of times a day is already ok

got stitches out this morning

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
great news! 

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
definite improvement, I'm up to about 10 minutes once a day, with a few 5 minutes spread out. Prior to the scar tissue trim, 10 minutes would ruin me for the rest of that day and possibly the next.

I still had one step where something caught and was a big ouch but just for a second.

Surgery swelling is still working its way out, about halfway gone now.

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2017, 03:13:14 AM »
I've had a few more rare steps that zing me for a second

However seriously delayed flight landed me for my layover at 2am with no staff to wheel me. Forced about 30 min of walking.

Now it wasn't easy, muscles ached a lot. Swelled a bit more too. It was not comfortable at all, but it wasn't painful in the joint. Beneath the ports is a little sore, but that's it

Offline jnestor1299

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you're doing better and I'm sure that muscle soreness and swelling will go away as you gain strength back. I'm curious when Dr. Broyles went back in,want was the quality of your cartilage and how much has the defect filled in?? Thanks

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »
The MFC was 100%, flush with surrounding cartilage and had normal shape. It was glossy and smooth but didn't look quite as dense as the surrounding area. It's only six months though, so a good ways from maturity. The very small spot on PF was only 70%

support