Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Out of surgery with Broyles  (Read 19558 times)

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Out of surgery with Broyles
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:43:43 AM »
I don't have much to say yet, super woozy...will continue to update

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
Re: Out of surgery with Broyles
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:58:15 AM »
Had a nap. Report to wife was that he thought it went well, I was probably told some details but don't remember.

PT starts in the morning!

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 05:46:17 AM »
Thanks for updating this thread! I am very curious myself to see how you progress and wish you the best. Please do post some photos of the arthroscopy if you can.

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
Had  PT, mainly just gentle stretching. Showing me how much 20% is to partial  weight bear

PT is daily for four weeks then trickles down

Pain is ok, had two Norco last night, but just celebrex and Tylenol today

I don't have pics or report yet, I see him Wednesday
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:50:48 PM by plaidwandering »

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »
First two hours on cpm were uneventful

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 06:21:16 PM »
Day two of PT and a bit more work for the muscles. The only pain I had was from the skin stretching around the stitches

I've got the cpm on 90 now

Boredom and loneliness are my biggest issues heh

Offline Pier2043594

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:13:01 PM »
Plaid,

Thanks for the updates.  Keep them coming.  Any pain relief yet from the knee?  Or too early to tell?

Pier

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 09:58:35 PM »
I don't get to walk until August, so can't say

It is a several month process overall

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:07:55 PM »
First post op today.

Stitches out

Blood and bone marrow draw for injection. Btw on the bone marrow the anticipation was way worse than the event. It was no big deal and over fast.

I forgot my USB drive for video/pics...will get next week. It looked like a minefield though!

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 12:46:17 AM »
First post op today.

Stitches out

Blood and bone marrow draw for injection. Btw on the bone marrow the anticipation was way worse than the event. It was no big deal and over fast.

I forgot my USB drive for video/pics...will get next week. It looked like a minefield though!

Great news! I too anticipated terrible pain, but never experienced any with all of the PRP and SVF injections I've received.

Offline Pier2043594

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 01:18:03 AM »
Plaid,

I too thought the BMAC withdrawal sounded a lot worse then it actually was.  It just feels like it should hurt like hell.  It does not.

I though have had brief but tremendous pain with the injections.  I wish I was as lucky as PSNY on that front!

Again thanks for the updates.  Even if we don't reply to them all we are reading an grateful that you are sharing your experience.

Pier

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 03:28:41 AM »
plaidwandering,
Best of luck with your recovery.

Are staying in the area all the time?  Does the hospital have some affiliated hotel for long term stays?

It's good to know that BMAC isn't that paainful as I'm scheduled for a BMAC procedure combined with an arthroscopic procedure. The good news I'll be out when injection is done, also it will be combined with a fibrin glue.

What about the site of BMAC drawing? Does it stay sore for a while?

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
I can barely feel the spot unless I press right on it, the one they did during surgery I never felt at all. I've heard from patients that have seen other docs that they have a tender spot for a week or so.

The CPM was a little painful here and there yesterday, probably since the knee was full from the injections. Minor and gone right after though.

I'm here until 5 weeks post-op. There is the bmac/prp/ha injection in surgery after the drilling and then every week for 5 weeks while you do intensive PT. The standard protocol(which mirrors Dr. Saw's that he learned it from) Is three follow up weekly injections at 4 months and 12 months.

The clinic has a slight discount on an extended stay about two blocks away. Still, the stay costs are going to just about equal the non-insurance portion of medical costs. I wish I had a friend in Baton Rouge!

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 08:27:21 PM »
plaidwandering,
Best of luck with your recovery.

Are staying in the area all the time?  Does the hospital have some affiliated hotel for long term stays?

It's good to know that BMAC isn't that paainful as I'm scheduled for a BMAC procedure combined with an arthroscopic procedure. The good news I'll be out when injection is done, also it will be combined with a fibrin glue.

What about the site of BMAC drawing? Does it stay sore for a while?

What treatment did you decide on to fix your problematic Chondrofix plug? If I had to guess from what you describe Biocartilage?

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 05:00:00 AM »
Thank you plaidwandering,
yes, that what I estimated about costs too.

Psny,  I'm planning to have an arthroscopic procedure mainly to assess the defect, and also do some clean up. It'll be combined with BMAC stem cells which would be placed exactly at the site of defects, in trochlear groove and meniscus, mixed with fibrin glue. The glue will have the cells in place. There are studies showing a slightly better outcome if fibrin glue is used.

support