Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Member - can you help?  (Read 922 times)

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
New Member - can you help?
« on: February 22, 2004, 01:06:07 PM »
Hi - I'm new to this but could do with some help or support from you!

I have had recurrent problems with my right knee for the last 22 years.  Have had an arthroscopy and tibial osteotomy and am still in constant pain.  Could sit and cry it hurts so much.  :'(

I'm waiting for another arthroscopy this year as my consultant can't seem to make the situation any better.  Have had numerous scans and x-rays but no-one can get to the root of the problem.

I have pain round the outside of my knee joint, always worse when I put my weight on it when it's bent.  I can pinpoint the pain very specifically - just above my knee cap on the outside.  Is this the iliotibial band?  

I'm taking 8 co-proxamols a day as well as indomethacin, which doesn't do much.  I have a bledsoe brace which helps but do any of you have any other ideas as to what I can do about the pain?!?  Other than "live with it" ?!!
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: New Member - can you help?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 02:15:10 PM »
Hi Faith, welcome to the board, if you are looking for help and support in the area of BAD knees..you have found it. ;D This is a great place to find out information and also just vent sometimes.  ::)
I am sorry to hear that you have had such problems with your knees.  :-/ It is so very frustrating, I am right there with you.
I just wanted to ask what kind of xrays you had and what they think the possibly problem might be?  I am wondering if they have done skyline or horizon xrays to examine how the patella sit's in the femoral trochlea?? Those xrays were the piece of the puzzle that was missing for me... for 12 years my OS struggled as to what was causing me all this pain, and then they took skyline xrays and bingo  problem was evident.  My kneecap tracks laterally and tilts and subluxed at 30 degrees. :P  Is the pain that you feel right under your kneecap,,, or above it on the femur?  The illiotibial band attatches on the side of the knee I believe, but the lateral retinaculum attatches on the lateral side of the patella ... If the pain is under the patella, you may have Chondromalcia which is a softening of the cartilage.   That's one of my menaces ... beed living with that one for 15 years. :P
As far as pain goes, that' s always a hard one I find that my ice and braces (breg PTO) give me more relief than any med. But I do take Bextra which is an anti inflammatory and alalgesic combined , I also take a mild anti depresent before bed and it works wonders to help me sleep.  Getting enough sleep is a big part of the battle on pain, if you can't sleep properly than you can't get out of that pain cycle.
I hope this has helped... though I know it's not all that much information.  ::)
Just know that I hear ya and can completely underestand your frustrations and dissapointment.   :-/
Hang in there...hopefully this next scope will find something.
HUGS and HOPE
Linds :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 02:17:48 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 02:38:50 PM »
Hi Linds

Thanks for taking the time to write!  It's good to know that there's always someone out there who can offer support...  Sometimes that helps more than anything!

I've had all kinds of x-rays over the years, looking at all different aspects of my knee.  I know that one of my main problems is that my leg is twisted - my foot sticks out at an angle of about 45 degrees while my knee points forward, hence the osteotomy (it was even worse than that!)

Because of the twisting I think the ligaments are all pulling in the wrong direction.  ???

I also know that my patella doesn't track corectly when I bend my leg.

If you look down at your right knee, I have pain round the outside of the joint, and also just below my patella, (not under it) and the top of my tibia (though that was the site of my osteotomy so I'm not sure if that's got something to do with it).  Though the worst pain is just above my patella, over the femoral condyle on the outside, and the worse it is, the further up my thigh I feel it.

It's really bad today; I went to my local A & E dept last night and they told me they were baffled and there was nothing they could do except wait for the arthroscopy, which I know is going to be at least 9 months away, worst luck  :(

How do you get on with your Breg?  Is it helpful?  I rely quite heavily on my bledsoe but it doesn't really fit that well as my leg is so twisted and the brace is straight!

Aaargh!  Knee problems are a NIGHTMARE!!

R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 03:04:59 PM »
Hi Faith, well first let me say..ouch.  Yes the pain you describe sounds a little odd, which is likely why the docs at A and E could not do much for you.  IT's VERY frustrating  I know....the waiting can be just as hard.  
Breg braces are the only ones that I have had any success with ... but everyone is different.  
Your problems are more complicated than the average patient.  :-/   Hard to deal with.  Hopefully the arthroscopy will help with something...  :-/ the pain down the outside of the knee joint could be ITB band, you could look into doing some stretches for that.
I wihs I could help more, but I don't think I can. But I am here if you ever need to talk
HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?