Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fat pad surgery  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Willy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fat pad surgery
« on: May 13, 2015, 03:39:55 AM »
Visited a doctor today who said that I should consider an arthroscopic surgery to address a problem that he thinks had to do with the Fat pad.  Calls my problem "Hoffa's disease.  Anyone have this surgery? Your experience?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Fat pad surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:45:57 AM »
I had quite a lot of the hoffas (lateral) fat pad removed from my right knee 3 months ago, no ill effects from the surgery (had some meniscus removed too)

If the fat pad is impinged, physio may help. Does taping the knee to reduce the impingement help, probably worth asking your surgeon or physio. You could also try a steroid to reduce the inflammation. Surgery should be the last step. There's plenty out there on the internet about hoffas fat pad impingement :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 05:08:27 PM »
Hi Willy,

I had my fat pad trimmed in November 2009 as I was unable to run and was feeling pain and catching at to bottom of my right kneecap. While my OS was taking a look inside my knee he also spotted an inflammation of my medial plica that was totally removed.

I agree with Vickster that the last option to take is surgery as it can make your knee condition even worse! I had to have a 2nd scope in July 2014 to remove excessive scarring that was caused through scope #1. My right knee is still not right even though my latest MRI scan came up ok apart from more fluid then there should be. I had cortisone injection only yesterday and if you are not keen on needles then I can pre-warn you it is slightly painful when the needle is inserted a sharp prick and then it's all done.

I had a cortisone pre-op and post op to surgery #1 and can only say it numbed the pain making the knee pain more tolerable and can say the same so far after scope #2. It is still early days as I have been told it can take up to 4 weeks to feel the full benefits of the injection. I had both lateral and medial pain caused by my medial plica and fat being inflammed that was catching at the bottom.

Seeing a good sports PT is far better then a normal PT is just my personal opinion. I found my sports PT was far better and more experienced than the ones I saw on the NHS and privately. Friction massage therapy I think is more for breaking down scar tissue and not fluid and inflammation.

I did find a big pain relief after scope #1 was Inter muscular stimulation (IMS) dry needing that did help ease the pain and tightness I was feeling when trying to kneel and squat.

Only go for surgery if all other options have failed as once you have had one scope you might need to have a 2nd one as soft tissue surgeries often can lead to excessive scarring inside the knee. You do not want to be faced with such a prospect that's no fun that I know from personal experience.

Good luck with what you decide to do next, I hope I have not made you feel more anxious! You will find that the majority of patients with fat pad trimming do not end up with AF! I think that the plica excision is the cause of my AF rather then the fat pad trim.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline sjc87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »
Hi Willy, did you go through with the fat pad trim surgery? If so, Did it turn out well?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »
Hi There,

I think you will find with older posts that members often will not return back to the forum so may not reply back again. As for my on-going right knee problems I am still waiting for the right type of treatment, tomorrow I am seeing a sports physician to get his opinion before considering a possible 3rd surgery.

I have already mentioned in my previous post since having had my fad pad trimmed and medial plica removed my right has knee never been the same again. My 2nd scope was AIR surgery removing excessive scarring caused from scope #1. It now looks like my patella tendon is under strain with chronic tendonitis and maybe scarring around the tendon. May require surgery exposing the patella tendon that can then be cleaned up with an open incision at the bottom of kneecap by the tibia. This is the area where I am feeling the majority of pain and discomfort. 

I have already had 5 cortisone shots so far with 3 of the cortisone injections done last year, 2015. It has not really be beneficial in any way, it was done in the hope that it would help heal the patella tendonitis. It sounds to me like scar tissue is attacking the patella tendon as I cannot increase my walking pace, running is now a long distant memory. The last time I ran was in January 2013.

[email protected]

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming