Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synovial herniation?  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Synovial herniation?
« on: February 21, 2004, 02:23:15 AM »
 ???Has anybody ever heard of or had a synovial herniation?  

I went yesterday for my second Synvisc injection (this one seemed to follow the trend I've seen on a lot of posts and hurt a lot more than the first round).  :P

I asked my OS about this ping pong ball sized lump of what I thought was scar tissue around my lateral port site.  It's not too big or painful until I extend my knee and then it gets really big and tender.  He thinks it is synovium from the inside of the joint that squirts out through the joint capsule when I extend my knee. :-/  He says hopefully it will just go away with a little time and I should just massage it really hard and really often to try to desensitize it.  :o

What the heck?
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: Synovial herniation?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 05:47:03 PM »
Just me.  I'm trying to move this up on the page.

Danielle ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 05:52:01 PM »
 I have never heard of that.but it makes sense I suppose. ::) IF the portal didn't heal up entirely inside and out, then forsebly the joint lining could come out a little whole, same as a hernia in your abdomen the intestines will push their way through the abdominal lining and cause a protrusion...same idea. HOpefully the masaging helps
Hugs and hope
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 11:51:23 PM »
Hello Danielle,

I had an MRI scan an my right knee last year Summer and on the report from Consultant Radiologist mentioned 'synovial herniation' that I shall now write out as its written on report.

MRI REPORT:

The one feature of note is a small central area of 'Synovial herniation' into 'Hoffas fat anterioly'. This area of 'synovial herniation' extends from the joint line anteriorly in mid line extending towards the inferior pole of patella over a distance of almost 1.5cm. The patella is rather low in posistion. The patella/tendon ratio remains just within normal limits but is at the low end of normal.

'Anterior herniation' of 'synovium' into 'Hoffas fat' in normal individuals is an uncommon but encounted phenomenon. It is usually assumed to be 'asymptomatic'. Whether it is lickly to be 'symptomatic' to individual is I'm afraid difficult  to determine. Obviously if pain is 'primarily anterior' then this is a potential cause together with a low lying patella. If pain is specifically 'anteriorly' located than I think the above findings are best regarded as being incidental findings.

Sorry If its too technical but might be of some help even if its not the same it mentions synovial herniation but into Hoffas fat aslo known as 'Fat Pad' I think.

My OS does not seem to be too concerned about these findings even though it hurts more since my MRI scan. My left knee worse then my right since MRI scan. No diagnose on what's causing pain in both knees and appropriate treatment to cure the pain and immobility its causing me.

Good luck with your treatment, Nick :){2004}:)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 12:24:42 AM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support