Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Long term results from PKR - TKR vs. PKR - What do I need to know?  (Read 637 times)

Offline SailYona

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello
I'm looking for some guidance with this forum. I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the info here and would like to narrow it down to what would be helpful for me at this time.

I am trying to find out more about long term results from PKR.
Also to learn about my surgeon, and if I need a second opinion on PKR vs. TKR.

I'm 50 and have arthritis in my Right Knee, the latest MRI shows bone on bone in the medial compartment and moderate arthritis in the PF compartment. The lateral I don't know, but I do have minimal pain there. Most of the pain is the on the medial. It's been over 10 years since the pain started and I'm now very limited mobility and not able to manage the pain and swelling.
Over the years I've had a number of procedures. Injections: steroid, PRP, HA, also PT, chiro, acupuncture, and diet changes. I've been told a clean out would not be applicable for my situation.
All surgeon's I've been to previously tell me that my knee is not bad enough for surgery and to go get another injection. That I'm "sensitive" to pain. And then say to come back in a year. (I'm now bone on bone)

Most surgeons don't want to operate on me due to my age. My current surgeon said he would be willing to do a PKR. But how do I know if this is the correct move? Is the lateral compartment well enough to not to need TKR for the next 10 years? Or will I be looking at a TKR in a couple years, in which case why have two surgeries?

At this point I need information. I'm trying to read/learn about what decisions I need to make - is there a choice in devices? In how the surgery is performed? Are their better outcomes for patients with "signature" Oxford implants?

Most docs specialize in either TKR or PKR so won't their opinions be based on their speciality?

What else do I need to know now that I've decided to have surgery?

Thanks for any info, links to good threads or a good way to use the info on the forum. And personal experience!

Yona