Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Trochleoplasty/MPFL reconstruction/TTT  (Read 707 times)

Offline lcain18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Trochleoplasty/MPFL reconstruction/TTT
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:19:58 PM »
Hi fellow knee gurus,

I am new to the site and am due to have surgery on 16th May. I am having a right knee trochleoplasty and MPFL reconstruction, with potential of have a TTT if I need it once the trochleoplasty has been completed. Basically I won't know if I have had all 3 procedures until I wake up!

I have a few questions about this if anyone can help.Has anyone had a trochleoplasty/MPFL recontruction? What was the recovery time/pain/general experience of this? And has anyone had the TTT on top of this and what was the recovery time/pain for this procedure?

I am quite nervous about all of this and would appreciate any words of advice and any experiences that people have had!

Thank you  ;D :-\

Louisa

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: Trochleoplasty/MPFL reconstruction/TTT
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »
Cryocuff, if you can afford one and/or have someone who can fill it up for you will be a immensely helpful. It's like ice that you are allowed to wear all the time (as it pumps cold water throughout the sleeve), it helps a lot -in my opinion- for keeping pain under control post-op.

general recovery for both of those surgeries is 6 months - 1 year for full recovery. When I had my MPFL a long time ago I was non-weight bearing for two weeks, trochleoplasty bearing weight right away/as tolerated. So the protocols for post-op probably vary depending on your surgeon and their preferred rehab plan.

If you have not have surgery before prepare yourself to handle the pain, as these are both surgeries that involve drilling/cutting into bone and that pain can be very intense after surgery depending on your tolerance. A lot of people, myself included, have surgery and only think about how great it will be to have it all fixed and then kind of forget that after surgery it's going to suck for a bit while you recover from the 'insult' your body has taken by being sliced into.

It's best to stay on top of your pain by taking medication on time (if you have no allergies or problems with pain meds), and to make sure to ice regularly (if you do not have a cryo cuff).

Definitely make sure you follow their guidelines, keep it elevated as much as possible and rest so your body may do it's work and heal you :)

Oh and pre-setup your rest/recovery area with any entertainment, commonly used items you may want after surgery so you don't have to get up too much. Having a small backpack near that you can take with you to fill up a water bottle or carry food, books, etc with you and make it easier to cart back is also very helpful.

Good luck! Hope you have a swift recovery  :D

Offline lcain18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Trochleoplasty/MPFL reconstruction/TTT
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 12:10:16 AM »
Thank you for all of that, it's really useful to know! Will get my entertainment system all prepared haha!

support