Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Mcl not healing,advice please!  (Read 1475 times)

Offline debs555

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mcl not healing,advice please!
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »
Hi folks,it's coming up to 12 weeks since i had my accident,in which i ruptured my acl & had a high grade injury to my mcl.
It was 5 weeks before i saw a specialst,who told me that as i had no treatment to these injuries for that period of time,he was concerned that the mcl wouldn't heal.He braced my leg & i  had to wait 6 weeks until i saw him again.
I saw him last Wednesday & was told that my mcl isn't healing & i would have to wear the brace for another month in the hope that it would heal,but i got the impression that he wasn't very hopeful!
My question is,is there any hope that it still can heal? & if not,what would i be expecting for my future if i didn't have an operation to have them repaired?
2 fractures. ruptured acl & torn mcl

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Mcl not healing,advice please!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »
I'm no expert on the subject so I can only tell you what my OS told me 11 years ago when I had my knee injury. He said the MCL can heal but it would take 6 to 8 weeks to do so. And he did tell me at 6 weeks that it was beginning to tighten. I've read posts from people on this website saying their injured MCLs never healed to the point it was prior to the injury, however. I have no clue why your MCL at 12 weeks is still not healing, however.

Somebody must have some insights. Wishing you well.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline monsters

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:50:07 AM »
I saw him last Wednesday & was told that my mcl isn't healing & i would have to wear the brace for another month in the hope that it would heal,but i got the impression that he wasn't very hopeful!

My question is,is there any hope that it still can heal?

Re: impressions, in my experience interpreting doctors' sentiments was just not very helpful or informative. Sometimes they're not trained super-well in thoughtfully delivering news like that -- I know mine wasn't. I take things extremely literally and overanalyzed everything he said and in retrospect I don't think he intended things quite as literally. I would say there's definitely *some* hope it can still heal -- if he didn't think so, he wouldn't have wanted to try another month to see if it would improve, and instead he would have talked about your options re: surgery imo.

When I tore my MCL (grade III, complete tibial avulsion) and PCL (partial tear) in 11/2015, I was braced almost immediately (surgery was not recommended for me). The doc said 4-8 weeks. I came back at the 8-week mark (1/2016) really excited that my brace would come off, and he said it wasn't healing and that I'd need another month, and it was totally crushing. It hadn't even occurred to me that he could revise his timeline. When I looked obviously distraught, he said that multi-ligament injuries can really extend the healing time, so what I'd say is be patient... it's going to take way longer than you think, even when you take that into account.

One month later (2/2016) he said the brace would come off but that my MCL was still kind of loose. When I came back for my exit exam (4/2016) he said he couldn't tell the difference between my good knee and bad knee. I am back to training every day now but after two hours of ballet I really start to feel it. Friends who have had similar injuries say it'll be at least a year before it feels normal again.

& if not,what would i be expecting for my future if i didn't have an operation to have them repaired?

While I was in the brace (it's a conversation-starter for sure), I met at least four people who said they'd torn various ligaments years ago (i.e. "yeah both my ACLs are just not there!") and just never got them repaired, which I found super-surprising. I hadn't even conceived of that as an option. Based on that, I guess you could just be careful and learn to function without every stressing the ligaments, but depending on your daily activities, that might be too disruptive.

Hang in there... sending good vibes. I know it's super-tough : \

Offline debs555

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »
Hi Monsters (of which i'm sure you're not :D ) Thanks so very much for your reply.
You can't believe how much hope you have given me. Like you,i think i took things literally so went into a panic when he told me he thought it wouldn't heal!
 My big problem was that my leg wasn't braced for 5 weeks after my accident,thanks to an idiot consultant at the hospital who,instead of realising i could have done some bad damage,sent me home just with crutches.
It's good to know that your stretched mcl sorted itself out & i will work as hard as i have to,to get my knee better as the thought of surgery terrifies me.
i'm sure not as active as you,but all i want to be ale to do is walk & show my dogs again,even if i have to wear a brace to do that.
Thanks again for your reply & i'm so happy for you that you made a great recovery! :)
2 fractures. ruptured acl & torn mcl