Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cartiform Patellar Implant 4/08/16 - Feedback Needed  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Baddchad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cartiform Patellar Implant 4/08/16 - Feedback Needed
« on: April 23, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »
Background:  41 yr. old male.  Left Knee.  After multiple scopes I had a stem cell harvest from my hip put into my knee on 8/05/15.  The results were great but wore off after about 5 weeks.  Then in January of 2016 had the cocktail injections in my knee over a three week period (euflexxa, toredal, prp).. the three injections went ok but only saw limited improvement for a short time.

I am in Western PA and decided in March to let the surgeon go in with a scope and progress to any degree necessary, including Cartiform.  The 2+ hour surgery had him determine that 40% or more of my patella had deteriorating tissue and Cartiform was the answer. I have about 5-6 inch cut right down the center of my knee and they also needed to do some sort of release procedure which had them cut a portion of tibia away and realign it with two screws. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights and things started to improve quickly after that.

I am currently 15 days post op. At 11 days post op I visited my surgeon (Western PA Area) and he seemed pleased.  They did an xray and the incision looks good.  It is stitched from the inside and there has been no bleeding, swelling, or seepage of the incision at all. 

At 15 days I am sleeping fine. I only took the Oxycodone for the first 5 days and have been off all painkillers since.  It is hard to sleep because of the awkward brace, but not due to pain.

My main issue right now is the CPM machine.  I quickly got up to 75 degrees on day 10 but at day 15 I am still at that same point.  My OS only wants me on the CPM machine 1-2 hours per day and this is significantly less time than others I see on this site. 

The therapy is going well.  I an do all the leg raises without pain and the quad is starting to reestablish itself.  I am still walking with crutches and I cannot drive because the leg brace will not permit me to get into the drivers compartment.

My current goals are to figure out how to drive and to get feedback on the CPM machine.  I think I should be able to bend the knee more than I am able to but I am just trying to be patient.  To summarize, at day 15 I think the pain and the incision are less than I would have imagined but the degree of flexion I have is less than I would have hoped for and I am trying to figure out how hard to push it.

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 55
Re: Cartiform Patellar Implant 4/08/16 - Feedback Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 03:53:05 PM »
Baddchad,

How are you doing now?  Almost 1 month out from surgery..right?  Best wishes in your recovery.

Offline taylob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 02:50:39 AM »
Badchad:
Sounds like you've had it bad, and I'm hoping for your sake you have improved and that the Cartiform is actually working.

I'm actually going for my Cartiform implant on my patella, and I've learned much from willrunagain and canyonking.

I'll be posting my story as it goes along as this is a procedure that I pray works. I've been mountain bike and occasional road racer for 17 years, and I can barely stand or walk. This has got to work.

Cheers,
Brian

Offline taylob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »
Baddchad and whomever else:

How are the Cartiform implant people doing? I'm now one week and three days post surgery, and everything seems to be going fine. As I'm older than most people with this procedure, I had stem cells added to the implant, and there are certain protocols to follow. For example, no icying directly onto the knee, although I'm wondering if I can put the ice under the knee?

My only real goals for this procedure is to feel less pain and to be able to ride my road and mountain bike, and that's the story I've gotten from all contributor and my doc, Dr. Phil Davidson. At this point, he's done approximately 40 of these and is highly confident this works on patellar defects. My trochlear groove needed to be smooth, and it was, so that made this procedure possible.

My left knee will also need some work--looking at a Hemicap on the femoral condyle and then either Cartiform again, or maybe an inlay. I'm not sure about the limitations of the inlay on the patellar but am eager to find out--but there is limited information on this.

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 04:03:03 AM »
I'll chime in here being 10 months post op cartiform to the patella. I'm doing great. I'm running about 10 miles a week and biking 60. My knee almost feels brand new. I'd say 85% back to pre injury level. This product is a life changer! I couldn't even climb a flight of stairs without pain before surgery! Now I'm running pain free! Greatest feeling ever after my first doc said I'd never play impact sports again. I was 26 at the time and sports were my life. Thank you cartiform!!!!!

Offline taylob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
Willrunagain:
I'm so grateful for the posts you've made. I believe part of my willingness to do Cartiform was because of your and Canyonking's posts. As I got from a slide show by Dr. Farr, approximately 600 people have had this procedure over a year ago (so I imagine more by now), and I find it so surprising not to be able to get more testimonials on the topic. Of course, all I really want to hear are the positive stories when you get right down to it because believing this is going to work is a significant part of the challenge.

I'm glad it is working out for you. I'm just beginning the process and searching wherever I can to get more information. In the mean time, I think it's just a matter of doing all you can and remaining positive. Knowing others have succeeded past two years is very hopeful.

It would be good to hear from baddchad about how he is progressing.

Offline lanamarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
Hi there, can any of you who had Cartiform chime in on how it worked with insurance? What type of insurance did you have and did it cover any/all of the procedure? If not, how much was it out of pocket? Thank you so much.

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »
I have UHC and my cartiform procedure was fully covered, but you may have to have a diagnostic scope first to get the exact size/location of the defect.

Offline Baddchad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 01:10:01 AM »
Hey All,

I just remembered it's been forever since I've been on this site.  I actually got a message from an earlier post and for some reason, I cannot reply.  So, I thought I'd at least reply to this thread.  I think most of the questions are answered as this is very old but I can at least give an update.  Unfortunately, things seem to have gone better for most of you.  I think my surgery went fine but I got so far into the rehab and it just seemed like the knee stopped recovering.  So, I'm about 22 months post op. and here is the short story.

I can do a lot of things with my knee and I have no pain at rest or with regular daily activities but there are many things I cannot do.  For instance, I can ride a bike and I can climb on a stair mill.  I actually did about 85 stories in 20 minutes last week.  I progressed pretty nicely on the leg press but am current stuck at singe leg presses at 80 lbs.  Where I come up short is anything like squats or leg extensions.  My knee is stiff a lot of the time and anytime I try to push it to the next level or next activity, it starts to flare up.  I would love to try and run and I did some straight line running out in the yard last year.  Then , I tried on a treadmill and it flared up. 

Upon having a particularly bad setback in Sept 2017 I went back to my surgeon and he said the new MRI looked pretty good.  He also said that Cartiform is not even an option for this type of problem anymore.  What he is not suggesting is that I get on a list and they will actually take a patella from a cadaver and they will actually take out the middle of my kneecap and they will completely replace it with a new one.  His take is that getting cartilage to grown on bone is much harder than having bone grow into bone.  Since the cadaver will have health cartilage, he thinks this will give me a much better result.  I am unsure though and have to muster the drive to go through this again.  I have a one year old child now and I'm nervous that I will not be able to have a regular life with him if I don't get another surgery but I'm also afraid I will go through another year of rehab and be no better or worse than I am now.  I really feel stuck.  Part of me wants to start doing more with my knee as it is now and just see what happens.  Such as, I might try and run outside and just go for it.  Sorry no post from me, not very responsible to those in need of information.  If anyone could tell me why I cannot reply to a personal message, drop me a line. thanks..

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
You need 20 posts on the forum before you can PM to stop spammers

Use the Games Room area to get your post count up
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline BezProblemów

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 03:46:19 AM »
Hey Baddchad,

Sorry to hear that it's been a struggle.  I feel your pain as I am also wondering if an allograft on my patella is worth it and thinking about recovering while caring for a toddler. 

Did you doctor give any details as to why Cartiform is no longer used for your type of problem now?

Let us know what you decide, and best of luck to you.

support