Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Confused after MRI  (Read 640 times)

Offline pfmarine1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Confused after MRI
« on: April 22, 2016, 05:19:28 AM »
I was involved in a motor vehicle accident 1.5 year ago. I had a scope to repair a medial condyle cartilage tear, 6 months after my accident. A year later I am still suffering from pain with any activity. My surgeon has discussed an OATS or an ACI. My previous scope removed 2cm x 1cm severe grade 3 and near grade 4 chrondomalacia. This was in the weight bearing surface. I recently got a second MRI and this was the report. Can you please explain to me in laymans terms what was demonstrated on the MRI?

Indication: Chrondomalacia of the left knee

Discussion: The central aspect of the medial femoral condyle cartilage demonstrates focal full-thickness fissuring with a tiny area of underlying bone marrow edema pattern.

The lateral femoral condyle cartilage has focal signal abnormality with near full-thickness fissuring and possible delamination over and area of about 3mm. The underlying bone marrow demonstrates a curvilinear area of signal abnormality that could be subacute to chronic subchondral fracture or stable osteochondral lesion. Appearances are somewhat atypical for both. The underlying subchondral bone plate appears intact.

IMPRESSION:
1. CURVILINEAR SIGNAL ABNORMALITY IN THE SUBCHONDRAL LATERAL FEMORAL CONDYLE WITH UNDERLYING FOCAL CHONDROMALACIA. DIFFERENTIAL INCLUDES A STABLE OSTEOCHONDRAL LESION OR SUBACUTE TO CHRONIC SUBCHONDRAL FRACTURE. APPEARANCES ARE SOMWHAT ATYPICAL FOR BOTH, HOWEVER, AND THE UNDERLYING SUBCHONDRAL ONE PLATE APPEARS INTACT.
2.FOCAL FULL-THICKNESS FISSURING INVOLVING THE CENTRAL ASPECT OF THE MEDIAL FEMORAL CONDYLE CARTILAGE.

I would love a laymans explanition of this and also any input on OATS vs ACI.
Thank you in advance!!

Offline walkingdaily

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Confused after MRI
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »
Medial condyle: A crack through the entire thickness of the cartilage + a tiny bruise in the underlying bone (bone bruise).
What is a bone bruise or bone marrow edema: http://www.ehealthstar.com/conditions/bruised-bone

Lateral condyle: near full-thickness crack in the cartilage and possible separation of the cartilage from the bone over and area of about 3mm. Possible fracture under the cartilage.