Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release 22 weeks ago...new pain  (Read 665 times)

Offline arkansas_geologist

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Release 22 weeks ago...new pain
« on: April 05, 2016, 03:51:51 AM »
Hello all. I'm new to this board but have read lots of posts here over the past months. After a fall in November 2014, I had continued pain in my left knee. I got an MRI, was referred to an ortho surgeon, and diagnosed with chondromalacia of the patella and a pretty large Baker's cyst. I saw my ortho doc in September 2015 where I received a steroid injection and an order for PT. PT didn't help much, so we agreed on a scope with the possibility of a lateral release. My surgery was scheduled for November 4th. When I woke up from surgery, I found out my doc had done a lateral release with plica removal. Recovery was pretty rough in the beginning and I had some really severe swelling and bruising, and at one post-op appointment my doc aspirated 70 ccs of fluid from my knee. Yikes. Things got much better from there, and by 6 weeks post-op, I had virtually no pain or stiffness. By January, I was hiking, doing yoga, and doing a workout called Pure Barre and things were going really well.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. My boyfriend noticed I was limping before I even noticed I was in pain. My knee started hurting again in similar ways to post-op pain, but I also started noticing that after sitting down in a chair for long periods, when I stood up I had really sharp pain and a completely unstable knee. The best way I can describe it is wobbly. It's even waking me up at night. After taking no pain medicine since 3 weeks post-op, I had to start taking it again. :-( I went and saw my ortho surgeon on Friday, and he gave me another steroid injection, a script for pain meds, and some samples of Pennsaid. My surgeon thinks that maybe I've just irritated it somehow and it will resolve itself. I'm supposed to go back in one month and at that point will get an MRI if I'm not better. I noticed a tiny improvement with the injection and when I put on the Pennsaid, but the only thing that really helps is Percocet, and that only does enough to barely take the edge off. My pain is both dull and sharp, hurts behind my knee much like when I had the Baker's cyst, and all around my kneecap. It just seems so bizarre to me that after doing so well for so long that this is happening. Has this ever happened to anyone else and what could possibly be going on? I'm just so incredibly frustrated. I'm a grad student and a single mom to four year old girls, so I really don't have time to be dealing with this unexpected pain. Thanks so much in advance!

Offline iwillwalkagain

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Lateral Release 22 weeks ago...new pain
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »
Search for Dr. Mark Sanders on the forum.  There are a few very positive accounts of him repairing failed lateral releases.

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Lateral Release 22 weeks ago...new pain
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »
When I had a lateral release it made my kneecap start dislocating medially. Kneecap is just sloppy now. I won't realize it's out of track and I will start walking or stand up. The muscles pull it back into alignment. The pain of the having full weight on my leg while it pops back in causes my quad to shut down and my knee buckles. It's awful. I didn't know what was happening for months after the lateral release. One day I was laying on my side on the couch watching tv and I looked at my knee. Something wasn't right. I moved and I watched my kneecap literally hop back into track.  I wasn't bearing any weight on it so pain was only minor. I relaxed muscles and watched kneecap "fall" back out of the groove. I finally grabbed my phone and took a video of it and showed my PT and my dr. We finally had an explanation for the pain and instability I was was dealing with. When I would see dr before the video he would say well it looks great and it's moving in alignment. I was so frustrated that there was no explanation. I was beginning to doubt myself like maybe I was crazy.

The relief of finally knowing what was going on was great. If I had known the possible complications of a lateral release I never would have had it done. I am still dealing with this instability 5 years and numerous surgeries later.
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

support