Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Possible ACL reinjury?  (Read 591 times)

Offline thatsit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible ACL reinjury?
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:13:25 AM »
Hi all, new here and was wondering if anyone could help me!

I tore my ACL and meniscus in Sept 2010. After a few weeks of misdiagnosis of tendonitis/fractured knee cap, I was finally referred for an MRI where they discovered this. When I met with OS he noted that the joints in both of my knees naturally hyperextend and said this is possibly why the injury occurred in such a freak manner (was walking and next thing it tore!!). Had an arthroscopy  in Jan 2011 to repair these. Except for a brief meeting with the physio the day of surgery, I received no follow up from either OS or the OS' physio.

I have had trouble with my knee catching and swelling up over the past few years, but I haven't really thought much of it as it doesn't last very long.

Last September I completed a half marathon (walking). But at mile 7 my knee started to pain me. By mile 9 it was excruciating. I eventually made the finish line but ended up vomiting with the pain in my knee while waiting to see the team physio. This physio noted that I had an "unstable knee joint" and advised me of exercises to do to strengthen the leg while I was waiting to attend physio (I attend university in another city, so there was going to be a few weeks of a lapse). After that, my knee was constantly sore, but dull.

On the night of December 26th 2015, I slipped while walking and banged my kneecap of the injured leg off pavement. Instantly, the pain shot through my knee but I got up and continued on. I haven't been able to fully straighten my knee since. Unfortunately, due to my commitments in university (final year of a Masters degree) I was unable to commit to seeing my GP regarding this issue, let alone OS.

About three weeks ago, I was in work (waitress). I was picking something up off the floor and as I went to move my knee felt as if it popped, but also like it was a more severe catch. I shook it off thinking it was just a catch, but got home to find that behind my kneecap had completely swollen up. I am currently awaiting a physio appointment and desperately hoping that this is not an ACL retear, but was wondering if anyone could let me know what they think?

As it stands:
  • Swelling in injured knee - predominantly behind injured knee but knee cap also swollen.
    Sensation of tightness in back of injured knee.
    Pain in the right side of knee
    Pain just over kneecap when going upstairs
    Feeling of instability in knee
    Inability to straighten/bend knee without severe pain
It was stupid of me not to go to the doctor/physio in December, I know that. However, if it is an ACL re-injury it would have postponed the final practical of my degree until 2017 as it only runs once a year!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:41:22 AM by thatsit »

Offline Hipop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Possible ACL reinjury?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »
I think you should get an mri asap and then you can make an informed decision about what to do. I understand the feeling of pressure but my gp visit plus mri appt discounting travel time,probably took up an hour max of my time.

Offline thatsit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Possible ACL reinjury?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks Hipop.

Have an appointment with a physio later on today, will see what he says before getting on to MRI.

Part of me hopes it's obviously an ACL issue, but the other part of me wants it to be anything but ACL!

support