Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kneecap fracture  (Read 640 times)

Offline Apie2546

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Kneecap fracture
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:56:06 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Andrew. I need some help with my injury or understanding it. So I am a firefighter in Texas. We were called out to a brush fire on the side of a mountain which is nothing special because we spent 71 hours on one two days before. So I was up there in my coat and water pack spraying out a tree limb when all of a sudden I heard a crack and I fell on top of it. I scrambled to get off the limb because it was on fire and heard another crack and I fell again but in the black. I had two other firefighters help me off the mountain in a lot of pain. The best the ER said was I dislocated it and upon relocation cracked my knee cap. That was a week and a half ago.I was put in an immobilizer and given pain medicine.

After a few days I began using a wheel chair and eventually into crutches and then down to one crutch to limp on. Now I have removed the knee immobilizer, and I have began walking with both crutches. I can walk without a crutch but fits sketchy. Bending my knee fully puts strain on two muscles on either side of my knee. I also cannot lift it under my own power with out using my hands to assist.

Is that normal? Is it just muscles that need healing? I've never broken a bone before. I'm not sure of tendon damage. I just had an MRI done and I'm waiting on that. In the er they said acl/MCL/pcl all seemed fine. Also when should this unsure feeling go away? Jerking it too fast hurts too obviously. Thank you for any and all advice

Offline Alane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Kneecap fracture
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »
Hi. I'm new here, but I just saw your post. I have had two kneecap fractures. They take a very long time to heal. If it has only been a couple weeks since you had your injury, it is WAY too soon to be out of your immobilizer. Usually you are immobilized for months in order to get the fracture to heal. Overtime you bend or straighten your knee your muscles and tendons are just pulling that fracture apart. Take it from me, go back and see your doctor. Make sure you keep it immobilized as long as prescribed..religiously. There is a small window when bones can reveal and you don't want to miss it. Take it from me, you do NOT want to have an unhealed patella fracture for life. It is NOT fun.

I hope things turn around quickly for you!